{news} article on CT Working Families Party

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 01:16:41 EDT 2006

You may have seen this article last month--it was in the Fairfield County
Weekly.  If you're in the 5th District and were planning to vote for Chris
Murphy (since there's no Green running), you may want to vote for him on the
WFP line instead of the Democrat line.  This strengthens the role of minor
parties.

http://www.ctnow.com/custom/nmm/fairfieldweekly/hce-fcw-0921-ff39-nc-electionhtfd39.artsep21,0,5916410.story

Blue-Collar State
The Ever-expanding Influence Of The Working Families Party

By Adam Bulger

September 21 2006

The Sept. 12 Connecticut Working Families Party state convention was held at
the Il Monticello restaurant in Meriden. With its wall-mounted chandeliers
and dim lighting, the banquet room seemed suited more for weddings than the
unadorned political language and attitude used by the Working Families Party
speakers.

An outline of the evening’s agenda was handed out to attendees. It listed
the three main issues the speakers would discuss—universal health care,
outsourcing and the earned income tax credit—and gave the schedule for the
event in 15 minute increments.

Moderator Deborah Noble, who was elected to the Windham Board of Selectmen
solely on the WFP ticket in 2003, warned that the schedule would be followed
to the minute .

After a five-minute break, she cleared her throat on the mic to assemble the
crowd of about 40 union members, activists and politicians for the
presentation of candidates.

For the upcoming election, which will take place on Nov. 7, the WFP is
running two candidates under its own banner and cross- endorsing over 70
candidates in other parties. Several candidates cross-endorsed by the WFP
attended, including state senator Gary LeBeau (D-3rd District) and state
representative Henry Genga (D-10th District). Gubernatorial hopeful John
DeStefano attended, despite not having been endorsed by the WFP (state law
requires parties to run petitioning candidates in races before they can
endorse candidates). The New Haven mayor said he attended the convention
because of common issues.

“This group cares about the same things I do. We share a value, everybody
has a responsibility to work,” DeStefano said in a later interview. “We need
families to be strong, and for that, folks need to earn living wages and
have access to health care.”

When candidates are cross-endorsed, they get two lines on a ballot, one for
their national party (predominantly Democratic, but the WFP does endorse
Republicans) and one for the WFP.

“[Cross-endorsing] gives progressive voters a way to send a message about
issues like health care, jobs and living wages and let elected officials
know they want them to focus more on economic issues that affect
working-class people,” Connecticut WFP director Jon Green said. “They get to
do that without the stigma of wasting a vote on some hopelessly unelectable
candidate. It’s an attractive option for people who want to send a message,
and still have their vote count for an electable candidate.”

State representative Joe Aresimowicz (D-30th District), who spoke at the
convention, was a priority for the WFP in his first run for office. He
received 226 votes on the WFP line and said the party’s energy was key to
his campaign.

“They have shown they’re an effective voice in the races. They’re an
unusually strategic and effective third party,” Aresimowicz said.

This year, the WFP has prioritized Chris Murphy’s race for Congress against
12-term incumbent Republican, Nancy Johnson.

“We’re going to target our efforts on the places where we think we’ll have
the biggest impact on getting people elected who will fight for our issues,”
Green said.

Geronimo Valdez, an East Hartford machinist and union shop steward who is
running under the WFP banner for state representative, indicated that the
party’s message is strong enough to sway anyone who hears it.

“The money doesn’t vote. It takes people to vote, not money. As long as I’m
contacting the people I have a chance,” Valdez said.

editor@ fairfieldweekly.com

Copyright © 2006, Fairfield County Weekly