{news} Cindy Sheehan endorses Zeese, other Greens

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 15:50:57 EDT 2006

A significant development for Greens..  Kevin Zeese is a Green
candidate for
US Senate in Maryland, also endorsed by the Populist and Libertarian
parties.

Subject: [mgp-disc] Sheehan endorses Zeese

*PLEASE FORWARD*

Friends:

Cindy Sheehan, an an interview yesterday, breaks with Progressive
Democrats of American on whose board she sits and re-states her
endorsement of Zeese for Senate and other peace candidates. (PDA only
endorses Democrats as they are essentially an arm of the Democratic
Party and put party before principles.) Cindy is highly critical of the
Democrats to the point of saying that she is looking at starting a new
third party that will be "viable and credible" and not ruled by the
"corporate elite."

Cindy's endorsement is particularly important in Maryland where Mike
Hersh, the leader of Progressive Democrats of Maryland, has been on a
Cardin crusade -- misstating Cardin's record by closing his eyes to
Cardin's record of voting $320 billion for the war, opposing exit
strategy amendments, supporting stay the course resolutions and voting
for the Patriot Act as well as many other corporate-friendly pieces of
legislation. See http://kevinzeese.
<http://kevinzeese.com/content/view/205/5/> com/content/view/205/5/ for
Cardin's
record. Cardin has also refused to take the bombing of Iran off the
table and is an ardent supporter of Israel no matter what they do. The
Jewish peace group, Jewish Voice for Peace gives Cardin a failing grade
of 40%. Rather than allying with the peace movement in the Jewish
community, Cardin allies with the hawks and is one of the top
recipients
of Israeli lobby money. Indeed, when one looks at Cardin's funding
sources he fits exactly what Cindy is concerned about -- politicians
who
are funded by the corporate elite and have a history of doing their
bidding in Congress. (Michael Steele is also wrong on these issues. For
his record see http://kevinzeese.
<http://kevinzeese.com/content/view/207/5/> com/content/view/207/5/.)

My hope is that peace advocates will vote peace -- if they do there is
only one choice in Maryland. Further, voters that see that the broader
issue of the day is corporate control of government will vote for the
only candidate that is not taking money from the big business special
interests. We can change the direction of this country -- and it can
begin in Maryland on November 7 if people vote for what they want and
are not manipulated by the two party trap of voting for what you don't
want. As Cindy says "Instead of voting for the 'lesser of two evils' we
should be voting for a candidate that reflects our 'beatitudes' and not
the war machine's."

If people want a copy of the DVD of the debate we held at the Urban
League we have high quality copies available (better than the one on
the
web, this one has four camera angles rather than one). Please get one
and invite all of your neighbors over to watch it. This was a historic
debate for Maryland with three candidates sharing the stage -- this has
never happened before in a statewide election in Maryland. We will be
having a televised debate on October 25th. It will be on News Channel 8
as well as on Maryland Public Television. Spread the word so voters can
really see their choices by comparing the three candidates as they
stand
together and exchange ideas.

Kevin
www.ZeeseForSenate.org
www.Zeese.US (wiki site)

*An Interview with Cindy Sheehan*
by Joshua Frank (repost and link)
/Saturday Oct 21st, 2006 10:14 PM /

/Cindy Sheehan responds to Joshua Frank's questions about her
cooperation with the PDA (Progressive Democrats of America) and her
future political plans./

*An Interview with Cindy Sheehan
Independent Politics and the Antiwar Movement *

Joshua Frank: Cindy, we are in the armpit of another election season
and
it seems that the mainstream antiwar movement is rallying behind the
Democrats once again, hoping if the Dems can just recapture the House
that the Republicans will finally be held accountable for all their
horrible faults. Impeachment will follow and the war will end. What do
you think? Where do you stand on all of this?

Cindy Sheehan: I hold very little hope that, due to the utter
corruption
of our electoral system, and the Republican reign of terror and fear
against the American public, the Democrats will even take back one or
more Houses of Congress.

Even if the Democrats take back the lower House, the potential Speaker,
Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca) has already said that impeachment would not be "in
the cards." Rep. John Conyers (D-Mi) has also backed off of impeachment
rhetoric. Since Bush has said over and over again that the troops
aren't
coming home while he is president, it is up to us to make sure that his
presidency is cut short.

We all know that the Vietnam War ended when Congress cut its funding.
There is a bill that has been sponsored by Rep. Jim McGovern, (D-Ma)
HR4232 that cuts funding to leave our troops in Iraq, but he has very
little support and even a smaller chance of getting it to the floor for
a vote. I believe that most representatives don't support the bill
because they will be accused of "not supporting the troops." I believe
that it is not supporting the troops to leave them in that nightmare.

Although I admire the Democrats on many issues, when it comes to war
and
peace, most get their pockets lined by the same corporate interests.

No matter which party has control of Congress come November, we the
people have to keep the pressure up to stop the current course our
country is taking.

Frank: You are currently serving on the Board of Directors for the
Progressive Democrats of America, a pro-Democrat organization that
calls
for reform of the Democratic Party from within. The PDA consistently
ignores progressive antiwar alternatives to the Democrats. Do you think
that such a position could actually hurt the antiwar movement? Should
we
instead be supporting antiwar candidates who want to hold both parties
accountable?

Sheehan: I think that the PDA endorses candidates based on their entire
platforms. Of course, I only care about candidate's record on the war
and what they say about peace. I prefer to call our movement a "peace"
movement, because "antiwar" is too narrow.

I think it would be great if we didn't need a PDA, if all Democrats
were
progressive peace candidates, but we know they are not.

I would vote for a Republican if they were calling for the withdrawal
of
troops and for impeachment, and I definitely think a viable third party
could rein in the "two" parties we have now.

We will never have a viable third party, though, as long as we vote out
of fear and not out of integrity. Instead of voting for the "lesser of
two evils" we should be voting for a candidate that reflects our
"beatitudes" and not the war machine's.

Frank: The PDA may endorse candidates based on their entire platform,
but they still won't support antiwar candidates that are not Democrats
-- and they've received a fair amount of criticism for that position.
Do
you think that such a policy may be a problem for those who want to
build an independent antiwar movement that seeks to challenge both
parties?

Sheehan: Yes, well the group is called Progressive Democrats of
America.
They have had no problem with me endorsing third party candidates. I
completely support a viable third party. I don't know if PDA's position
is holding up an independent antiwar party as much as the mainstream
Republican and Democrats are.

I think reform of the Democratic Party could only reinforce antiwar
efforts and all progressive causes in general.

I don't think the PDA is hurting the antiwar movement because I don't
think they have enough consolidated power to affect it one-way or the
other.

Frank: It seems to me that working to reform the Democratic Party, like
the PDA is, sidelines other issues, most importantly right now, the war
effort. I guess you don't agree?

Sheehan: I think it will take all of us working for all kinds of
issues;
the PDA can focus on their piece. I will continue to focus on mine just
like you will continue to focus on yours.

Frank: Who are the peace candidates you are supporting this year?

Sheehan: So far I have supported three who ended up losing in the
primaries: Marcy Winograd, Jonathan Tasisni and Christine Cegelis --
all
of whom are Democrats, first two up against pro-war incumbents. I have
also supported Jeanne Cricenzo, a Democrat, Malachy McCourt for
Governor
of New York who is a Green and Michael Berg and Todd Chretien, both of
whom are Greens. Kevin Zeese of Maryland who is an independent
candidate. And most recently I told Howie Hawkins, who is running
against Hillary Clinton in New York as a Green, that I would support
his
antiwar campaign.

Frank: I've heard a rumor that you may be looking to start your own
third party. Is that true?

Sheehan: Yes, it is true. I think that to save our democracy our
country
needs a viable and credible third party. This nation was founded on
rule
by a few rich white males, and for all intents and purposes, we are
still ruled by a corporate elite.

We need a third party that will represent all the people, not just the
wealthy.
http://brickburner. <http://brickburner.blogs.com/my_weblog/200...>
blogs.com/my_weblog/200...
<http://brickburner.
<http://brickburner.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/10/an_interview_wi.html>
blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/10/an_interview_wi.html>