{news} Some national Greens business to keep you updated-GPUS-SC Conference CAll, 10/22/06 - Minutes, Part I

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 15:53:34 EDT 2006

Some might find some useful information on this recap email of national greens business

hhart at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu wrote:  Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:44:50 -0500
From: hhart at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
To: natlcomvotes at green.gpus.org
Subject: [usgp-coo] GPUS-SC Conference CAll, 10/22/06 - Minutes, Part I

GPUS SC Conference Call
Sunday, October 22, 2006
8:00 p.m. EDT

Holly Hart, Budd Dickinson, Katey Culver, Echo Steiner, Jim Coplen,
Liz Arnone, Jody Grage, Emily Citkowski, Brent McMillan, Steve Kramer

Facilitator: Budd

1) STAFF REPORTS
a. POLITICAL DIRECTOR - Brent
There are now 394 candidates. So far in this year's elections, there
have been 24 wins out of 62 races, a 39% win rate. Brent is preparing
a written account for the Media Committee on races to look out for on
election night; will run it by the CCC for comment first. This will
include a lot more data than in the past, more polling data, relevancy
of certain races. There are several big stories developing. The
overall quality of races is improving. Greg Gerritt is working on a
spreadsheet # of poll votes for previous cycles to compare to this
year's results to use in press releases.

Executive session 8:48 p.m. - 8:54 p.m.
Matters relating to duties of political director.

Steve asked about Cindy Sheehan's recent comments about the need for
another progressive party. He suggests that a group of Greens meet
with her to suggest the Green Party as that option. Brent stated
that when people realize what it really takes to create a party, they
run in horror. He suggested if SC members have an opportunity to
reach out to her, to do so. People expect more from us - even when
they get a lot from us (for instance, Brent's fundraisng work for the
Aaron Dixon campaign in Washington).

b. FUNDRAISING - Brent
- Contributions are increasing over last month, more responses.

- Next fundraising mailng is ready to go. This will include something
new, a tracking code for each donor in this mailing. This will help
update addresses and phone #'s, looking to the possibility of
automatically updating the database. This would be a huge help, we
could take on more phone canvassers and do this in a more technical way.

- Brent sent out the proposed contract for base+commission phone
canvasser to the SC for review.
PROPOSAL - Jody, that the contract language be approved.
APPROVED.

Brent would like to hire someone right away to start on December 1st.
Executive session 8:11 p.m.
Matters relating to personnel and hiring.

c. OPERATIONS - Emily
Online Outreach and Fundraising
- Emily has just hired a new intern from Howard University, and has
another lined up from a high school. This is part of this school's
program, the 3rd year in a row, and has worked really well.
Interviewed and offered an internship to someone moving to DC from
Arizona. She will also post job ad for internship on the website.

- Emily will send out code for two banner ads for state or local
websites, blogs, etc., tomorrow. One is an animated banner with
"Bring the Troops Home Now" to scroll across the top of a site,
linking to he new "peace slate" appeal; after Nov, 7 this will link to
the home page. The other is a button linking directly to the "peace
slate."

- We have taken in almost $7000 this month. This is a pretty good
month for us, maybe close to a record.

- Gregg Jocoy (SoCarolina) is organizing a blogstorm soliciting fund
to match the matching funds challenge donation.

Outreach
- Scott McLarty spoke with Evan Messinger, VP of CNN, about possible
people to have on for interviews. This came out of the Lou Dobbs
action alert we sent out.

2) VOTING QUEUE - Holly
See separate Voting Queue Report

3) UPDATE on CAMPUS GREENS - Echo
Echo hopes to have proposal for a Campus Greens Network finalized by
the end of next week.

4) UPDATE on FORUM MANAGERS - Holly
There is one volunteer and one potential volunteer for the alternate.
Holly will follow up with both. If there is a clear response, SC will
agree online to approve volunteer(s) to be sent to the voting queue
for NC approval.

5) MISC - Secretary Report - Holly
Updating welcome message and delegate manual. Delegate manual was
begun long ago and never completed, some of the outline and material
is now outdated or inaccurate. Holly will review for needed updates
(for instance, there are directions on sending votes to the NC list,
not the voting page).

6) PORTFOLIO REPORTS
FINANCE - Liz: In reference to the budget information we are
requesting from various committees, someone asked if the SC were
working with their committees to get their budgets in order. Liz
asked if, as portfolio managers, SC co-chairs were working with
committees on their budgets? She has only gotten back 3 budgets so
far. Jody noted some committees traditionally have not spent any
money (AC, BRPP).

POLICY - Budd
IC: Still working on getting subscribed to IC list.
Eco-Action: No action on Eco-Action,
GPAX: A ton of traffic on GPAX.

OUTREACH - Echo
DivCom: Still not on DivCom. Echo will send another email, but may
have to think of some other action.

Steve plans to contact co-chairs within his portfolio.

7) TREASURER'S REPORT/FINANCES - Jody
Jody is working on some ways of tracking income better. We should be
able to pay October bills in October. The budget is coming along
reasonably well, should get to the voting queue on time. Jody will be
getting out the financial reports tomorrow before the FunCom and
FInCom calls, as usual. She is working on a third paper and would
really would like feedback from the rest of the SC. Jody is
considering cash reporting as opposed to accrual reporting in the
treasurer's reports to the NC, easier to understand.

Katey noted that donor lists include income from donors for things
like attending the national conference. Does this skew the report of
what funds are actually sending contributions to the party? Brent
responded: this is a two-dimensional snapshot of a three-dimensional
database. We do track these individual streams. Donor lists simply
give candidates people they may want to contact.

Katey also asked if cash reporting would end up posing more questions?
Jody explained that the accountant's report will still be accrual
reporting, and those with questions can still access them online.

Liz brought up the situation in Pennsylvania with the Romanelli
Campaign getting hit with humongous court costs. In the future, what
will we come up against over and over again with similar situations,
and how do we prepare in advance? Should we be thinking about a
strategy or budget niche to either assist some states when they get
into these situations? Brent responded that he doesn't want to see
the GP get into a situation where some might attempt to use such
situations as a trap to bankrupt the party. However, we must build a
legal committee, legal resources; what came at Ralph Nader in 2004 is
now coming at us. Steve suggested we think about getting a budget
line item, ballot access or legal, where we could save to apply to
things of this nature.

NEXT MEETING: Sunday, November 5, 2006. 8:00 p.m. ET

To send a message to the list, write to:
Natlcomvotes at green.gpus.org
To unsubscribe or change your list options, go to:

If your state delegation changes, please see:
http://gp.org/committees/nc/documents/delegate_change.html

For other information about the Coordinating Committee, see:
http://gp.org/committees/nc/

    Tim McKee cell (860) 778-1304 or (860) 643-2282
   National Committee Member of the Green Party(Connecticut)
    Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign Manager

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor, Max Wentworth, Treasurer-   www.VoteThornton.com