{news} Fw: Comments from my Travels

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Tue Oct 31 14:37:34 EST 2006

Thornton for Governor
PO Box 1971
Manchester, CT 06045
votethornton at yahoogroups.com<mailto:votethornton at yahoogroups.com>
www.votethornton.com<http://www.votethornton.com/>
860 657 8438-H
860 268 1294-C
860 778 1304-Tim Mckee-Campaign Manager
860 293 0222-Ken Krayeske-field Manager
Paid for by Thornton For Governor
Max H. Wentworth, Treasurer
----- Original Message -----
From: Martha Kelly<mailto:martha_s_kelly at yahoo.com>
To: Ken Krayeske<mailto:ken at votethornton.com> ; Clifford Thornton<mailto:efficacy at msn.com> ; Jean de Smet<mailto:jeandesmet at galaxyinternet.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 2:36 PM
Subject: Comments from my Travels

'Lo all,

I went to Mystic yesterday for a conference on housing, afffordable housing, homelessness, etc. There I met I met Rosemarie Lee, the Community Lender Liason of the Savings Institute Bank and Trust, 803 Main Street , Willimantic. She knows you and is a fan. Thinks third Thursdays are just great, told me how much it has grown lately.  I told her about your candidacy.   And she listened attentively to my war on drugs speech tie-in.

On my way home I stopped in to see my friend Cecelia (who lives in the woods of Montville and is a universal health advocate). At the Norwich meeting (one hosted by the faith based guys)  she met a lady who volunteered the fact that "Cliff Thornton just makes a lot of sense."  This unknown Eastern CT woman stated that she was going to vote for you.

Hope all is well with you each.

Martha

ken krayeske <ken at votethornton.com> wrote:
  http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/columnists/hc-susan1029.artoct29,0,4843137.column<http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/columnists/hc-susan1029.artoct29,0,4843137.column>

  Voters Deserve To Hear From All Candidates

  October 29, 2006

  If you want to understand what brings on voter apathy, a small meeting
  room just off the lobby at Central Connecticut State University's
  student center is a good place to start.

  Clifford Thornton, Green Party candidate for governor, has come to talk
  to members of the Progressive Student Alliance, an organization whose
  members seek to expose students to new ways of looking at the issues.
  The alliance's president, Wes Strong, a sociology major from East
  Hampton, tried to attract all the candidates for an open forum, but to
  no avail. But Thornton is here after a long day spent traversing around
  the state.

  As it turns out, Thorton was free, even though the second and last
  gubernatorial debate was going on.

  Save for one notable exception, Connecticut's political debates have
  decidedly been for the two major parties - third-party candidates need
  not apply. Even though four gubernatorial candidates met the secretary
  of state's criteria for candidacy, only two were included in either of
  the televised debates. Say what you want about the democratic process,
  but it failed here. Only two candidates participated in what is arguably
  the largest (and most accessible) forum available for voters. Come
  Election Day, voters won't have the whole picture.

  Neither will voters in the state's overheated senatorial race. There,
  only one of three debates included all five candidates. The others only
  included three candidates - yet strangely, one of those, Joseph
  Lieberman, is running as an independent whose presence in the debates
  has never been questioned. (The two mostly missing U.S. Senate
  candidates are Ralph A. Ferrucci of the Green Party and Timothy A.
  Knibbs of the Concerned Citizens Party.)

  "But that's not fair," one student said at the CCSU meeting.

  It's not fair. Nor is it democratic (or republican). And we should be
  ashamed of ourselves. We're proving to disaffected voters that democracy
  is restricted to big-ticket participants with deep pockets. And the
  people who broadcast the debates do so by borrowing the airwaves. Those
  airwaves belong -- so says the Federal Communications Commission - to
  the citizens. And the citizens deserve to see and hear everyone.

  This argument sounds downright "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"-esque,
  doesn't it? But the fact is it's true.

  Yet here, during the debate, Thornton is leaned back in a plastic chair,
  jacket open, ready to answer questions while he watches the television
  mounted on the wall overhead. He put 700 miles on the car in the last
  two days. Thornton is beat, and he said as much when he came into the
  room and set a Wild Oats paper bag of campaign paraphernalia on the
  table. When he asks Strong how many students to expect, he doesn't seem
  disappointed with the answer - anywhere from 15 to 25.

  But compare that to the roughly 64,000 homes tuned in for the Oct. 18
  gubernatorial debate, and you can see that the two major-party
  candidates got so much more exposure than Thornton, or Joseph A.
  Zdonczyk of Concerned Citizens, the other candidate for governor.

  To a small but rapt audience, Thornton quickly lays out the Green Party
  platform: free college and enhanced mass transportation and a radically
  different drug policy. Overhead, his party's first-ever television
  commercial pops up (a protest to get Thornton into the debate), and the
  candidate shakes his head. The ad was filmed outside the first debate.
  He did not call for a protest at the second one.

  "I would be naïve if I placed all this on race and class," Thornton
  said. "It's about ideas. My background is athletics. I played basketball
  and baseball. I don't go into anything without looking to win. But I
  have to be realistic. We are looking at building the Green Party."

  He had asked one journalist involved in the debate to ask the Republican
  and Democratic candidates why all candidates weren't included. I bet him
  a dollar the journalist (a respected reporter) would.

  But the reporter didn't. In the polished world of two-party politics,
  going off-script would have been entirely too much to ask. And here is
  where you lose so many would-be voters. If they think that the fix is in
  and the game is locked, why ever would they want to get involved?

  Susan Campbell is at scampbell at courant.com<mailto:scampbell at courant.com> or 860-241-6454.

  --

  Peace,

  Ken Krayeske

  Campaign Manager

  Thornton for Governor

  P.O. Box 1971

  Manchester, CT 06045

  www.votethornton.com

  860-995-5842

  *This message is paid for and approved by Thornton for Governor, Max
  Wentworth, Treasurer*

  __._,_.___
  Messages in this topic <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/message/351;_ylc=X3oDMTMzMzI1NzljBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRtc2dJZAMzNTEEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTYyMTM2Nzc2BHRwY0lkAzM1MQ-->(1) Reply (via web post) <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwYnFsajQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRtc2dJZAMzNTEEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTYyMTM2Nzc2?act=reply&messageNum=351>| Start a new topic <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmM2QycWllBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNjIxMzY3NzY->
  Messages<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNnBiNjhjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzExNjIxMzY3NzY-> | Files<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnaW11NmZqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNmaWxlcwRzdGltZQMxMTYyMTM2Nzc2> | Photos<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYTc5MnI1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwaG90BHN0aW1lAzExNjIxMzY3NzY-> | Links<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJnMGp2bzNnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNsaW5rcwRzdGltZQMxMTYyMTM2Nzc2> | Database<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZjIzdTFjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNkYgRzdGltZQMxMTYyMTM2Nzc2> | Polls<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZWRjcXM0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwb2xscwRzdGltZQMxMTYyMTM2Nzc2> | Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZ3NzNTVnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNjIxMzY3NzY-> | Calendar<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNTlkdWlsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNjYWwEc3RpbWUDMTE2MjEzNjc3Ng-->
  Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest<mailto:VoteThornton-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> | Switch format to Traditional<mailto:VoteThornton-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional>
  Visit Your Group <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNHV0ODl0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE2MjEzNjc3Ng-->| Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>| Unsubscribe <mailto:VoteThornton-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=>Visit Your Group <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VoteThornton;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcWJtaWE4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MDE3MzE5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MDM3NgRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzExNjIxMzY3NzY->
  Yahoo! News
  Top Stories<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h549ba9/M=493064.8985662.9760764.8674578/D=groups/S=1705060376:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1162143976/A=3848615/R=0/SIG=12tfpnkb7/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/716;_ylt=A9FJqa2Zwa5EyIoAMw6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY->
  Get the current
  top news stories
  Yahoo! TV
  Staying in tonight?<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hp9as7u/M=493064.8985665.9759897.8674578/D=groups/S=1705060376:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1162143976/A=3848445/R=0/SIG=10t28jksf/*http://tv.yahoo.com/lineup/>
  Check listings to
  see what is on.
  In Year 2020
  Where Will You Be?<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12ikjl9lj/M=493064.9470465.10199930.8674578/D=groups/S=1705060376:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1162143976/A=4044338/R=0/SIG=1204av64n/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44841/*http://timecapsule.yahoo.com>
  The Yahoo! Time
  Capsule Project.