{news} Thornton Buys Ad for Wednesday's Debate

ken krayeske ken at votethornton.com
Mon Oct 16 11:11:54 EDT 2006

Thornton for Governor
For Immediate Release
Oct. 16, 2006
For more information, contact Ken Krayeske, 860-995-5842

LET CLIFF DEBATE!

/*New Thornton Ad Demands Inclusion in Debates*/

/Hartford/ - Green Party gubernatorial candidate Cliff Thornton has
purchased a 30-second ad spot on WVIT-30 to run adjacent to the
televised gubernatorial debate Wednesday night.
    This is the first time the Thornton and the Connecticut Green Party
have ever purchased airtime, and the ad will run either at 6:59 pm or
7:59 pm, directly before or directly after the debate, according to
NBC-30 sales rep David Aston.
    The ad decries Thornton's exclusion from the televised debates, and
calls for Thornton's inclusion. Voters and the press can preview the
30-second spot at <http://www.votethornton.com/pages/video.html>. The ad
features footage from the 75 Green Party protesters outside the debate
at Garde Center for the Arts in New London Oct. 9, calling for justice
for their candidate.
    Since the upcoming debate Wednesday night takes place without a
studio audience, on private property, and in an area directly at the
bottom of a highway exit ramp without sidewalks, Thornton said he did
not want to call a protest as it will be dark and unsafe for a
pedestrian protest.
    "There was no other way for our voice to be heard," Thornton said.
"While I am generally opposed to renting the public airwaves, and this
ad is expensive at $3,300 for 30 seconds, we have to tell the general
public that the two parties actively suppress free speech."
    Thornton is challenging Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell and Democratic
challenger Mayor John DeStefano to bring the debate to the people,
particularly students.
    "Why is the debate in a locked studio where people are not allowed?"
Thornton asked. "We have such trouble bringing youth into the political
world, why not host the debate at Central Connecticut State University?
I will be speaking there Wednesday at 8 p.m., and I invite Mayor
DeStefano and Gov. Rell to meet me there. Why are they so afraid of what
I have to say?"
    In a televised appearance with NBC-30 reporter Tom Monahan Sunday
morning, Thornton challenged Monahan, who is moderating the debate, to
ask the candidates why they have excluded Thornton.
    "We are waiting to see if Mr. Monahan will live up to his
journalistic responsibilities. The major parties do not deserve a free
pass on this," Thornton said. "Keeping me out of the debates hurts every
voter in the state. We need to have at least two more debates with all
candidates to properly inform voters of the problems and solutions."
    Thornton is calling for voters to pressure Rell and DeStefano to
schedule more debates.
    For more information, contact Ken Krayeske at 860-995-5842 or email
ken at votethornton.com.

-30-

*This message approved by Thornton for Governor and paid for by Thornton
for Governor, Max Wentworth, treasurer.*