{news} Fwd: Green Candidates Arrested - September Green Line

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 30 15:11:52 EDT 2006

Green Party of the United States <office at gp.org> wrote:  Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Green Party of the United States <office at gp.org>
To: greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Subject: Green Candidates Arrested - September Green Line

                      September 2006

                    News Headlines

    Rich Whitney Green Party Candidate for Governor of Illinois shut out of debates  The Illinois Green Party is running a full slate of candidates for statewide offices in 2006, along with several legislative and local offices across the state: Rich Whitney for Governor, Julie Samuels for Lt. Governor, David Black for Attorney General, Dan Rodriguez-Schlorff for Treasurer, Karen Young for Secretary of State, and Alicia Snyder for Comptroller.
  “We believe that everyone in Illinois should have the chance to vote for someone that reflects his or her values. If you believe in grassroots democracy, social justice, ecological wisdom, and nonviolence, the Green Party offers you a chance to see your values reflected in your state’s government,” said Phil Huckelberry, state party co-chair.           The Paul Simon Public Policy Institute of Southern Illinois University, WSIU Public Television and The Southern Illinoisan, who are trying to facilitate a debate, have extended invitations to Blagojevich, Topinka and Green Party nominee Rich Whitney.
  Whitney was invited to the debate in southern Illinois when he attained 5 percent in a major poll, which was the criteria they had established. But then the Blagojevich campaign backed out when they found out Whitney was going to be included, and suggested an alternative date that Topinka couldn't meet. As a result the sponsors gave up and the debate will not happen. So far there is a debate scheduled for Oct. 2 in which Whitney has definitely NOT been in included. It seems like Blagojevich would rather have no debates at all than have one with Whitney included.

Rich Whitney
  The Whitney campaign is working on alternative strategies to take advantage of the Governor's refusal to debate. One possiblity is to investigate legal options to see if the refusal to include Rich violates equal time access laws.
  For more information on the Whitney campaign: click here.

            Maryland Green Party helps get passage of the Healthy Air Act  The Maryland Green Party mobilized its largest ever lobbying effort during the 2006 legislative session. Our most significant success was the passage of the Healthy Air Act, working together with the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN) and other groups. This act requires Maryland's oldest and dirtiest power plants--which were exempted under the federal Clean Air Act--to cut back on carbon dioxide, the leading cause of global warming, as well as mercury, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide. Power plants are the largest industrial source of air pollution in Maryland, responsible for 77% of sulfur dioxide, 66% of mercury, 31% of nitrogen oxide, and 40% of carbon dioxide emissions released in the state every year.
  These pollutants are harming the health of the environment and area residents. Maryland has an unusually high incidence of autism, in part due to the mercury released by these coal fired power plants. In addition, our fishing industry has been hurt because fish caught in the Chesapeake Bay have shown a high level of mercury.
  The most significant achievement of the act was the regulation of carbon dioxide for the first time. The state will join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, a cooperative effort by Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states to reduce carbon dioxide emissions using a cap-and-trade program. Virtually all scientists agree that global temperatures are rising due to human activities like the burning of fossil fuels. A growing number believe we have a limited amount of time if we are to reverse the problem. We are already seeing the first effects of climate change: hotter temperatures, devastating hurricanes, rapidly disappearing glaciers, and the death from heat stress of large areas of forests in northern latitudes. By addressing carbon dioxide in addition to other pollutants, the Healthy Air Act takes a first step in the right direction.
  Maryland legislators remarked that the Healthy Air Act passed because of strong, well-organized grassroots pressure. The Maryland Green Party was a key part of this effort. Greens wrote, called, and visited legislators; submitted official testimony to the State House of Delegates and Senate; put up yard and business signs; arranged meetings; wrote numerous letters to local newspapers; and recruited large numbers of citizens to help. This grassroots activism overcame determined resistance from a multi-billion dollar power industry with an army of lobbyists, state officials formerly on their payroll, and Republican and Democratic politicians funded by their campaign contributions. As a result, Marylanders can breathe easier in the future.
  For more information about the Maryland Green Party, please visit http://www.mdgreens.org/.

    Green Party Candidates Arrested at Congressman’s Office  Brookfield, WI -- Wisconsin Green Party candidate for Congress Bob Levis and candidate for Lieutenant Governor Leon Todd were arrested today outside the entrance to Congressman Sensenbrenner’s office at Bishop’s Way and Blue Mound Road. Bob Levis is on the ballot opposing Congressman Sensenbrenner in the upcoming November election. Levis and Todd were participating in a rally organized by Peace Action Wisconsin to protest Congressman Sensenbrenner’s support of the war in Iraq as a part of the national activities organized around the Declaration of Peace. They took part in a one-half hour long protest with dozens of others before they were arrested. Three others were also arrested.
  Wisconsin Green Party candidate for lieutenant governor, Leon Todd, was one of the other three each received a $487 fine Monday.
  They were accused of disobeying a police officer after they blocked an exit from Sensenbrenner's office during the noon-hour protest, according to a Brookfield police department news release.
  The Wisconsin Green Party has opposed the war since before the invasion of Iraq, and has worked hard to end the war and bring the troops home. The party kicked off the Bring the Troops Home ballot initiative last spring, giving citizens a say on the war in Iraq in 32 towns, cities and villages around the state.
  For the complete story go to http://wisconsingreenparty.org/index.php
    JOIN THE GREEN PARTY IN TAKING ACTION   You can easily write your congressperson or Senator or how about a letter to the editor of your local newspaper? The latest issue on the action page is "Electronic Voting Machines Threaten to Destroy Democracy" and other issues include real health care reform, hold Bush accountable and impeach Bush amoung other important issues.
  The Green Party is proud of its history of active participation in bringing change and you can easily join and support these efforts by participating in these projects at the following link: http://www.gp.org/action/index.shtml.
                      Vote Peace Vote Verde!        Just in time for the home stretch of the campaign trail, we are pleased to offer “Vote Peace, Vote Green” & “Partido Verde” union-made bumper stickers. Discounts available for bulk orders.     < br>         Our new union-made heart shaped key chains are a great way to show that the Green Party has heart. These are a limited edition. Order yours today.     Green Party online shopping just got easier! To Order: online store.

                  Register Green. Vote Green. Give Green.  The Green Party does not accept corporate donations. We depend entirely on donations from people who are committed to building a powerful and progressive alternative to the two corporate parties.
  We ask you to challenge corporate influence in politics by supporting the Green Party of the United States! Show your resistance to the status quo by enabling us to continue organizing and mobilizing for real change. Please help us get out our positive, progressive values to new communities, and to deepen our involvement where we're already anchored.
  Support us today and please consider becoming a sustainer (look for the recurring donation option).
  Green Party online shopping just got easier! Visit our improved online store.
            Americans are ready for Change
      America is ready for the Green Party's message. But we need your help in bringing the message to the American people!
    Donate now to the Green Party

                    Make your friends GREEN with envy. Become a card-carrying Green today!

Buy Your Green Party Card Online
(or download a PDF order form).
  The latest, coolest item in the wallets of progressives is the personalized Green Party Card. For $36.00 a year* you can be a card-carrying Green. When you become an active supporter of the Green Party of the United States, you'll receive our spanking-new card, which shows the world that you stand committed to time-honored progressive values like liberty, equality, democracy, social justice, personal responsibility and focus on the future. In addition, you will receive a Green Party button and bumper sticker, a one-year subscription to Green Pages, plus all of the information you need to get involved and active as a Green. Half of your contribution will be shared with your state's Green Party. The Future is Green!
  Order Your Green Party Card Online Today
Federal law requires political committees to use their best effort to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer for each individual whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year. Contributions form the following individuals and entities are prohibited: corporations, labor organizations, national banks, government contractors, people under 18 years of age, and foreign nationals.
  *$36.00 is roughly equivalent to the $1.00 paid for a one-year membership in the Populist Party of the 1890s. The Populist Party was a multiracial, progressive, grassroots third party of working people which agitated for many popular progressive reforms. The Green Party of the 21st century continues the Populist's fight for citizen empowerment and progressive reforms at all levels today.

  Paid for by the Green Party of the United States

    Tim McKee cell (860) 778-1304 or (860) 643-2282 Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign Manager-
    National Committee Member of the Green Party(Connecticut)

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor, Max Wentworth, Treasurer-   www.VoteThornton.com
  email: info at votethornton.com