{news} re: LWV-CT Announces Thornton Eligible for Oct. 9 New London Debate

ken krayeske ken at votethornton.com
Fri Sep 29 16:21:11 EDT 2006

Thornton for Governor
For Immediate Release
Sept. 25, 2006
For more information, contact Ken Krayeske, 860-995-5842

DEMOCRACY PREVAILS!

The Connecticut League of Women Voters Invites Cliff Thornton to its
Televised Debate on Oct. 9 in New London

Hartford - Cliff Thornton, the Connecticut Green Party candidate for
governor, hailed the League of Women Voters as courageous and democratic
for its decision to invite him to its televised debate Monday, Oct. 9 at
the Garde Theatre for the Arts in New London, CT at 8 p.m. between
Republican incumbent Gov.  M. Jodi Rell and Democratic challenger John
DeStefano.

"This is a great day for democracy," said gubernatorial candidate Cliff
Thornton, who is the first African-American candidate for governor in
state history. "The Connecticut League of Women Voter's showed the
courage of its forbears. I am certain that Susan B. Anthony and her
suffragettes would applaud this. I look forward to standing on the stage
alongside my Republican and Democratic colleagues to discuss the issues
of greatest concern to Connecticut voters."

Previously, the Republicans and the Democrats reached a two-debate deal
in private negotiations which excluded not only the League of Women
Voters, but Green Party candidate Cliff Thornton as well.

Yet it turns out that one of those debates was co-sponsored by the
League and the New London Day. Once the League realized that it was not
excluded from its traditional, historic role, the League said the Day
editorial board gave it the latitude to determine what other parties
should be on stage.

The League had originally postponed its decision on third party
inclusion, but once it learned it would be moderating a debate, it
requested that the Thornton for Governor campaign submit a revised
application for consideration. This afternoon, after reviewing the
application, the League issued its decision that Thornton's campaign
fulfilled all four of its debate inclusion standards and thus merited
inclusion.

The letter it sent to the Thornton for Governor campaign said, "Using
criteria reaffirmed in May 2006, the committee made a determination that
your candidacy meets all of our criteria and you are, therefore,
eligible to participate in League-sponsored debates during the 2006
election." That letter is attached to this press release.

Candidate Thornton was thrilled to hear the decision, which ran directly
contrary to the discriminatory stand of the two parties.

"Apparently, the Rell and DeStefano camps thought they could impede
democracy," Thornton said. "They were afraid that I might pull some
shenanigans in the debates, so they decided to keep me out. Their fear
is correct. I am going to talk about the issues that matter to
Connecticut voters and in today's restrictive political environment,
talking about the issues of concern for Connecticut voters is a
shenanigan."

For more information, contact Ken Krayeske at 860-995-5842.

-30-
--

Peace,

Ken Krayeske

Campaign Director

Thornton for Governor

P.O. Box 1971

Manchester, CT 06045

860-995-5842

*This message is paid for and approved by Thornton for Governor, Max
Wentworth, Treasurer*