{news} BYU brings Nader to alt. Commencement to Cheney speech!!

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 17:55:43 EDT 2007

      BYU group confirms Nader as speaker    Provo school district cancels venue agreement    By Sheena McFarland
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune    Article Last Updated:04/18/2007 01:31:42 AM MDT        Brigham Young University students organizing an alternative commencement ceremony to protest an appearance by Vice President Dick Cheney at the school's formal commencement have confirmed consumer advocate Ralph Nader as a speaker and plan a fundraiser to help pay for Nader's visit.
    However, they still were looking for a venue Tuesday after Provo City School District said they cannot rent Dixon Middle School as they originally had planned.
    "We're not renting our facilities because it's disruptive to our learning environment," said Greg Hudnall, district director of student services. "We have after-school programs and ballgames nearly every night in our schools."
    Eric Bybee, a member of Brigham Young Students for Alternative Commencement, was not pleased by the news, especially because he had confirmed the location only hours before.
    "We're being blacklisted from Provo schools," he said.
    Hudnall said he has received requests from several groups wanting to rent schools for Cheney-related events, and he has denied them all, regardless of whether event organizers support or oppose Cheney's visit to BYU.
    "We're trying to look at the information, but with the information that is coming in, we won't rent our facilities," Hudnall said.
    Regardless, alternative commencement organizers will proceed with a fundraiser Friday to pay for their event. ShineBox Media Productions will screen its film "This Divided State," a documentary about Michael Moore's controversial visit to Utah Valley State College, in tandem with "An Unreasonable Man," a documentary about Ralph Nader, at midnight at the University Mall Cinemas.
    Friday's film screenings will be free, but donations will be accepted to defray the costs of the April 26 alternative commencement, which organizers said could be about $17,000.
    "There are a lot of perceptions about Ralph Nader, some of which are more correct than others," Bybee said. "I hope people who want to learn more or have some qualms about him will show up and watch it."
    The alternative commencement will begin after the official university commencement. Students and community members will march from Provo's Memorial Park to an off-campus venue to listen to speakers.
    The event is not a convocation exercise, but a speaking event open to the public.
    "Our goal in inviting these people is to give a spectrum of alternative opinions and solutions," said organizer Ashley Sanders, a senior. "This is political, but it's not intended to be ideological. We hope people learn from this event."
    They have set up a PayPal account at www.byualter- nativecommen cement.com to collect donations. Bybee said they already have nearly $3,000.
    ---
    * SHEENA MCFARLAND can be contacted at smcfarland at sltrib.com or 801-257-8619.

   Laws regulating protests in Provo City

    With several groups planning demonstrations to support or oppose Dick Cheney's visit to Brigham Young University on April 26, Provo City officials have released the following legal and logistical points for holding rallies. More information can be found at www.provo.org/mayor.rallies_advisory.html.

   1. Rally participants may not enter onto private property without the permission of the property owner.
   2. Participants may not interfere with pedestrians or vehicular traffic.
   3. Participants may not obstruct the free passage of pedestrians or vehicles or block any driveway, entrance, or exit.
   4. If the gathering anticipates closing public access to a street or sidewalk, the city requires an outside event permit for which organizers may apply at the Provo Police Department.
   5. If organizers are anticipating more than 300 participants for the event, state law requires that organizers consult the Utah County Health Department. They may require organizers to secure a mass gathering permit or a large public assembly license.
   6. If an event is to take place in a city park, participants should be aware that park facilities are available for reservation only between May 1 and Oct. 1 of each year.
   7. Many city parks are adjacent to public schools and neighborhoods. Those participating in protests and demonstrations should work to minimize any impact on schools or neighboring residences.
   8. Whether the areas impacted by a rally, protest, demonstration or march are on public or private property, organizers and participants are responsible for leaving those areas clean and for removing all signs, sticks, leaflets or candles.
   9. All participants must abide by all pertinent local, state and federal ordinances and laws while conducting the rally event, including Provo City's noise ordinance, park use regulations, and regulations related to disturbances at public schools and all should cooperate with law enforcement personnel in securing everyone's safety.