{news} Green Party holds fund-raiser, with Democrat as guest

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Tue Aug 28 07:07:07 EDT 2007

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18755190&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7576&rfi=6<http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18755190&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7576&rfi=6>

Green Party holds fund-raiser, with Democrat as guest
Angela Carter, Register Staff
08/28/2007
<javascript: openEmailWindow();>Email to a friend<javascript: openEmailWindow();><http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=7576&newsid=18755190>Printer-friendly<http://www.nhregister.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=1281&dept_id=7576&newsid=18755190>
NEW HAVEN - Former Democratic U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney of Georgia made an appearance Monday with Green Party mayoral candidate Ralph Ferrucci, exemplifying cross-party coalitions that are sprouting up around the country.

Charles Pillsbury, a New Haven Green Party co-chairman, and his wife, the Rev. Allie Perry, held a fund-raiser for Ferrucci, who is trying to raise $5,000 in contributions from New Haveners to qualify for matching Democracy Fund dollars, and McKinney, who needs to retire about $50,000 in campaign debt from her 2006 congressional run in Georgia.

      <http://oascentral.nhregister.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/nhregister.com/ROS/1579491304/Middle/default/empty.gif/34343664373434623436643430303930?>
Ferrucci has built his campaign platform on the issues of crime, education, eminent domain, "green" building standards for schools, health care, municipal taxes and eliminating tax exemptions, authorized by the state, for Yale University's nonprofit status.

"Taxes are high," Ferrucci said. "There's been four consecutive tax increases. We cannot afford another two years with the mayor if taxes keep going up at the same pace."

The Greens also have in the mix Allan Brison, a local party co-chairman who is running for alderman in East Rock's 10th Ward against Democratic incumbent Edward Mattison, and Daniel Sumrall, who is challenging downtown Alderwoman Frances T. "Bitsie" Clark, D-7.

"My advice to them is to speak truth to power, keep the 10 key Green values and form coalitions with Republicans, Democrats and all other types of third parties. That's the only way we're going to grow," said Green Party State Co-Chairman Clifford Thornton, who ran for governor last year.

Meanwhile, the Greens are nudging McKinney, an outspoken critic of the Iraq war, to run for president in 2008, but she said she must first pay off her campaign debts. "There's a lot of pressure on me to run," she said. "That's not just from Greens. That's from disillusioned Americans looking for a voice."

She said going to the polls to vote does not automatically mean your views will be represented. "The traditional political divisions are breaking down," she said. "That's why I say: Peace people, run for office."

Angela Carter can be reached at 789-5614 or acarter at nhregister.com<mailto:acarter at nhregister.com>.

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

"THE DRUG WAR IS MEANT TO BE WAGED NOT WON"

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible