{news} New London Day: "Councilors, Vote To Impeach Bush"

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:37:56 EST 2007

Nice op-ed in the New London Day!

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=45f5ce21-d085-4b01-9d5a-82cdc1067db4

Councilors, Vote To Impeach Bush

By Laura Natusch

On Tuesday, Ron Suresha and Rick Buell presented to the New London City
Council a resolution calling for the impeachment of President George W. Bush
and Vice President Dick Cheney.

Before the resolution comes up for a vote, councilors must ask themselves
three questions: Have the president and vice president committed impeachable
offenses? If so, is it appropriate for a city council to pass a resolution
calling for their impeachment? And finally, would such a resolution be in
the best interests of the residents of New London?

The answers to these questions are yes, yes and yes.

• First, there is little doubt that Bush and Cheney have violated the
Constitution and broken numerous laws. They have twisted, suppressed and
fabricated intelligence in order to drum up support for the Iraq war. They
have authorized torture. They have denied citizens the right of habeas
corpus. The president has admitted to personally ordering the illegal
electronic surveillance of American citizens.

• Second, U.S. law and tradition makes clear that not only is it appropriate
for municipalities to weigh in on national issues, it's routine. Clause 3,
section 12, Section 819 of the Rules of the House of Representatives
specifically allows local governments to present petitions and requests to
Congress. The Congressional Record shows that municipalities make use of
this clause daily.

Since Bush has taken office, many city councils have voted on issues of
national importance. More than 400 municipalities have passed resolutions
opposing the Patriot Act. Two hundred and seventy five have passed
resolutions calling for “immediate” or “rapid and orderly” withdrawal of
U.S. troops from Iraq. In March 2003, New London became one of more than 165
cities that passed resolutions opposing the war with Iraq before it began.

Furthermore, this tradition predates the Bush/Cheney administration. During
the Cold War, cities passed resolutions calling for a nuclear weapons
freeze. Cities have even weighed in on international affairs, as when cities
across the country voted to condemn South African apartheid.

• Third, a resolution calling for the impeachment of Bush and Cheney would
be in the city's best interests because this administration's illegal
actions have harmed and continue to harm New London residents.

Some harm is financial. According to www.costofwar.org, New London's
financial share of the cost of the Iraq war through March 2007 is $42.4
million. Worse, the federal government pays for this war by cutting social
programs such as home heating assistance and children's health insurance.
Gov. M. Jodi Rell has said, “These cuts interfere with the fundamental
responsibility of government: to safeguard the lives of its citizens. ...
The cuts to these programs place extraordinary burdens on the states.”

Some harm is life-threatening — particularly for New London residents
stationed in Iraq.

Some harm is less tangible. Local peace activists and dissidents, for
example, have no protection against illegal domestic spying.

Before voting, councilors should consider that we are all witnesses to the
historic and ongoing crimes of the Bush/Cheney administration. Are we to
turn away? Is it somebody else's responsibility to intercede? Or do we have
an obligation to say, as forcefully and in as many ways as possible, that we
will not tolerate illegal wars, we will not tolerate indefinite detentions,
we will not tolerate the erosion of civil liberties and the unchecked power
of the executive branch?

Last Tuesday, one councilor said that although he believes this is the worst
administration in history, if he were to vote for impeachment, some of his
constituents would feel betrayed. But it cannot be a betrayal to defend the
Constitution.

The New London City Council will be acting appropriately, patriotically and
in the best interests of both New London and the country by calling for the
impeachment of Bush and Cheney. I urge city councilors to pass this
resolution — and I urge their constituents to support them.

Laura Natusch lives in New London.