{news} Fw: Upcoming CT events to stop the war and in support of immigrant rights[AFSC newsletter]

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 24 23:19:32 EST 2007

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:00 PM
Subject: Upcoming Connecticut events to stop the war and in support of immigrant rights

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  February 22 2007

                                 .    Feb 24: Connecticut town meetings to Oppose the War in Iraq
                                  .    Save the date: May 19 AFSC-CT Annual Dinner with Anthony Arnove

                                 .    March 17: Connectiuct Opposes the War. State-wide rally in Hartford

                                 .    Feb 25: East Coast regional Meeting to Organize Against ICE Raids on the Immigrant Community

                                Feb 24: Connecticut town meetings to Oppose the War in Iraq

                                On February 24 there will be town meetings in over 25 Connecticut cities and towns. They are organized by people in those communities with the support of Connecticut Opposes the War, a state-wide coalition of labor unions, faith based groups, and community organizations that want to end the war in Iraq.

                                Testify and hear from each other on the cost of the war, why we need to leave, how to support our troops!
                                Work with the CT AFL-CIO, State Legislators, Local Religious Leaders, Community Organizations, Veterans and other Neighbors and Friends.

                                The Town Meetings have two purposes.

                                1) To build local organization to support ongoing anti-war work in every corner of the State. Wherever our Congressional Delegation goes to meet with voters, in every newspaper's letters section, and every day on their voicemail and in their mailbox, we want them to know we're here, and here, and here, and everywhere!

                                2) To organize for the March 17 rally in Hartford, at the Old Statehouse. We want every town in CT to have a presence (and a sign!) at this rally, telling our Congressional Delegation that its most important job is to STOP THE WAR. People will be demonstrating in Washington AND locally, all over the country on that day, so that everyone can participate, and Bush and Congress can see what they're really up against!

                                Meeting Agenda:
                                1. What's going on in Iraq and in Congress?
                                2. What can a local group do to help end the war? (A Lot!)
                                3. Connect with all the other Town Meetings via Conference Call with a surprise speaker!
                                4. Organize the town to go to Hartford on Saturday, March 17, the anniversary of the invasion, to Protest the War!
                                Bring all the Troops and the Money Home!

                                Contact ctopposeswar at yahoo.com or call
                                860 655-4179 or
                                203 979-4676 for more info.
                                www.ctcow.org

                                March 17: Connectiuct Opposes the War. State-wide rally in Hartford

                                On Saturday, March 17th, building off the energy of the February 24th town meetings Connecticut Opposes the War will hold a state-wide rally in Hartford at the Old State House, 800 Main St from 3:00-4:30pm.

                                The rally will tell the U.S. Congress and President Bush to stop the war in Iraq. Over $400 billion has been spent and it has resulted in the deaths of over 3,100 U.S. military personnel and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. We will tell Connecticut's Congressional delegation and the Bush Administration that we also need to change our priorities by making our cities safe; provide health care, education, and jobs for everyone; and offer full financial and medical support for returning U.S. troops.

                                The rally is endorsed by a large number of elected officials, labor unions, churches and congregations, and peace and community organizations.

                                Please contact ctopposeswar at yahoo.com or 860 655-4179 or 203 979-4676 for more information
                                www.ctcow.org

                                Feb 25: East Coast regional Meeting to Organize Against ICE Raids on the Immigrant Community

                                EAST COAST REGIONAL MEETING TO ADDRESS
                                THE FEDERAL CRACKDOWN ON IMMIGRANTS

                                SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 25TH @ 4PM
                                WESTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY, IVES CONCERT HALL (Inside of White Hall on the Main Campus)
                                181 WHITE ST. (WHITE STREET and FIFTH AVENUE) DANBURY, Conn.

                                The Department of Homeland Security is detaining thousands of immigrant workers from their homes and workplaces. Since Sept 2006 35 immigrant workers have been detained in Danbury by local police and federal agents of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) Its agents are forcibly breaking up families, trampling civil liberties, and violating due process rights. They have attacked union worksites and day laborer centers and tried to bust union organizing drives. Raids, arrests, and deportations have become a regular feature of life in towns which not one year ago witnessed historic mobilizations for immigrant rights.

                                Supporters of immigrant rights need to regroup and think out how best to address this national crackdown.

                                Immigrants in Danbury have led the struggle in Connecticut, including the defeat of Mayor Boughton's proposal in 2005 to deputize state troopers to deport immigrants. But Homeland Security has disappeared 35 immigrant workers from Danbury in 6 months. Mayor Boughton encourages the arrests and lends the resources of City Hall to terrorize the immigrant residents of Danbury.

                                Join forces from across the region to discuss an effective response to these ongoing attacks, and hear a panel featuring:

                                Speakers (List in formation):
                                · Ana Avendaño, Associate General Counsel and Director, AFL-CIO Immigrant Workers Program
                                · Anabel Pimentel and Reina Campos, Victims of Raids in the Swift Meatpacking Plant in Hyrum, Utah
                                · Lawyer for the Immigrants of Hazelton, Pa. from the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund
                                · Carola Otero Bracco, Director, Day Laborers Center, Mount Kisco, NY

                                Endorsed by the Western CT Central Labor Council, The Latin American Student Organization of Western Connecticut State University, and the Graduate Employees Student Organization of Yale University

                                For more information call 203-512-3452

                                www.stoptheraids.org

                                Save the date: May 19 AFSC-CT Annual Dinner with Anthony Arnove

                                Save the date of Saturday May, 19, 2007. AFSC-CT is holding its Annual dinner on that date. More information will be forthcoming, but we are excited to announce that the main speaker is acclaimed writer and activist Anthony Arnove, author of "Iraq: the logic of Withdrawal".

                                We will also be honoring various Connecticut activists for their work in support of peace and social and economic justice. Tabling space will be available for community organizations.

                                The dinner will be held at the Polish National Home, 60 Charter Oak Ave, Hartford, CT.

                                Please contact the Connecticut AFSC office at connecticut at afsc.org or at 860-523-1534 and check our webpage afsc.org/ct for further updates
                                www.afsc.org/ct

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward