{news} 4 upcoming Connecticut events for peace and against torture

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 10:35:13 EST 2007

 4 upcoming Connecticut events for peace and against torture

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  January 9 2007

                                 .    Jan 11 @ 5:00pm, Hamden, CT: RALLY AGAINST ESCALATION OF THE WAR IN IRAQ
                                  .    Jan 13 @ 3:30 Public meeting with Connecticut Congressional Delegation on War in Iraq

                                 .    Jan 11 @ 12:00 noon in New Haven : Access Denied: Guantanamo Prisoners Deserve their Day in Court

                                 .    Jan 27: UFPJ Mobilization in Washington DC Against the War in Iraq: Bring the troops home now

                                Jan 11 @ 5:00pm, Hamden, CT: RALLY AGAINST ESCALATION OF THE WAR IN IRAQ

                                RALLY AGAINST ESCALATION OF THE WAR IN IRAQ
                                THURSDAY, JANUARY 11th, 5 PM
                                HAMDEN, CT
                                HAMDEN MEMORIAL TOWN HALL
                                DIXWELL AND WHITNEY AVENUE

                                Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse in Iraq, on Wednesday President Bush is expected to call for an escalation in troops in Iraq by 20,000. Not 20,000 new servicemen and women, just the same troops, with shorter breaks and extended tours. On a mission that no one expects will result in anything but more needless casualties.

                                Please come out to the front lawn of the old Hamden Town Hall on Thursday, January 11th at 5 PM to stand in protest of this proposed escalation and to call for our elected leaders to reject this waste of our servicepeople.

                                Bring signs, flashlights, lanterns. This is the OLD Town Hall, located at the intersection of Dixwell and Whitney Avenues. It's Hamden's busiest intersection and we will be there at rush hour to show our opposition to expanding this war.

                                For questions and to get more information contact John Shanley at johnshanley at sbcglobal.net or 203-288-5543 or 203-640-6743

                                Thursday, January 11, 2007
                                Noon-1:00
                                New Haven
                                Federal Court House
                                141 Church Street, across from the Green

                                Thursday, January 11th marks the fifth anniversary of the opening of the Guantanamo Bay detention facility. This day will be marked by protest and demonstrations in more than 40 cities throughout the world.

                                Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice will lead a public witness, with street theater and a press conference at the federal courthouse at 141 Church Street in New Haven at 12 noon. All are encouraged to attend as we continue to bear witness to the illegal and immoral war and occupation, as well as the related war crimes of torture and abuse of prisoners.

                                Plans for Thursday's public witness in New Haven are coming together nicely.

                                We still have a few orange jumpsuits to be filled with volunteers. These folks will be positioned behind a portable section of chainlink fence and read the names of prisoners still being held at Guantanamo. If you would like to participate in this part of the action, please contact John Shanley: johnshanley at sbcglobal.net. or 203-288-5543 or 203-640-6743 (Cell).

                                Speakers at the press conference will likely include an attorney representing one of the prisoners and a professor from Yale Law School. We will also have written statements from Sen Christopher Dodd and Rep. Rosa DeLauro.

                                Two of members of the Catholic Worker from Connecticut will be participating in the Washington DC actions

                                Peace and Resistance,

                                John Humphries
                                Hartford Friends Meeting
                                Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice
                                860/236-5175; jhumphries at igc.org

                                www.witnesstorture.org.

                                Jan 27: UFPJ Mobilization in Washington DC Against the War in Iraq: Bring the troops home now

                                Jan 27: Go to Washington to tell Congress to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home now. Space is still available on buses leaving Connecticut to Washington D.C.

                                On New Years Day we marked the sad milestone of the 3000th U.S. military death in Iraq. Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have also been killed since the war started nearly 4 years ago.

                                President Bush now plans to send 20,000 more troops in surge like deployment to Iraq. No new troops will be sent, however, just troops currently deployed staying longer and troops scheduled to be deployed being sent early. We must raise our voices and say No to war, no to occupation and bring the troops home now!

                                Sponsored nationally by United For Peace & Justice

                                PeaceBus Connecticut To Washington
                                $55 Round Trip, $30 for seniors, students, unemployed (for a limited number of reduced-rate seats). Scholarships also may be available: Call.

                                Buses leave (and return 24 hours later):
                                11:00 pm, Friday, 26 January, W. Hartford - Conard High School, 110 Beechwood Rd.

                                11:45 pm, Friday, 26 January, New Haven - Long Wharf Theater parking lot, 222 Sargent Drive.

                                A bus is also being organizing to leave from Willimantic. Please contact John Shanley for more information: johnshanley at sbcglobal.net or 203-288-5543 or 203-640-6743

                                To purchase tickets:

                                Tickets ONLINE: http://www.stepfour.com/peacetrain/
                                Get receipt and immediate confirmation.

                                Or by mail:
                                Greater New Haven Peace Council
                                PO Box 3105
                                New Haven, CT 06515-0205

                                Print and send.
                                _____ Seats from New Haven $55; _____ Reduced-rate Seats $30
                                _____ Seats from W. Hartford $55; _____ Reduced-rate Seats $30
                                Contact Name:
                                Address:
                                Phone: Email:

                                For information contact:
                                David Amdur at damdur at afsc.org or 860-523-1534

                                Henry Lowendorf at grnhpeacecouncil at sbcglobal.net or 203-389-9547

                                http://unitedforpeace.org/

                                Jan 13 @ 3:30 Public meeting with Connecticut Congressional Delegation on War in Iraq

                                You are Invited to Meet with Connecticut Congressional Representatives about the War this Saturday.

                                Connectict Opposes the War (COW), including prominent unions leaders, State Representatives and Senators, leaders from the faith community, and a host of community and peace organizations, will meet with at least Representatives John larson and Chris Murphy of the Connecticut Congressional Delegation this Saturday, January 13, at 3:30 PM in the Legislative Office Building. The meeting is still being organized and other members of Congress may attend. One additional member has agreed to meet the following weekend, so we are assured of meeting with at least three of our seven members of Congress in the next two weeks, and we believe this number may be boosted to four to six.

                                You are cordially invited to attend this Saturday's crucial meeting and lend your support for a rapid withdrawal from Iraq and a solid NO to any plans for escalation. We will urge our Congressional Delegation to take a much stronger leadership role in organizing other members of Congress to end the war. It is important that you come to help our Congresspeople understand that Connecticut Opposes the War.

                                Attend this meeting and bring your kids, friends, neighbors and co-workers.

                                We are looking for speakers as well. If you would like to speak at this meeting, please reply and let me know and include your telephone number.

                                We especially need clergy, seniors, and military families, members and vets.

                                For More information:
                                Gregory Spear
                                Connecticut Opposes the War
                                860 655-4179
                                gspear at spearreport.com

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward

Note: forwarded message attached.