{news} Rally for Free Speech

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Tue Jan 30 17:42:46 EST 2007

            http://www.newschannel8.com/Global/story.asp?S=6010797<http://www.newschannel8.com/Global/story.asp?S=6010797>  <javascript:changeFont(1);><javascript:changeFont(2);><javascript:changeFont(3);> Text Size

            Rally for Free Speech
                                <javascript:playVideo('1203366', 'Rally%20for%20Free%20Speech-%20story%20by%20Jodi%20Latina', 'v', 'News', '132434', 'News', '', '');> Rally for Free Speech- story by Jodi Latina<javascript:playVideo('1203366', 'Rally%20for%20Free%20Speech-%20story%20by%20Jodi%20Latina', 'v', 'News', '132434', 'News', '', '');>

            Posted Jan. 30, 2007
            12:00 PM

            (Hartford-WTNH)_Krayeske is a freelance journalist and a political activist.  He has been arrested once before, but this time he says the police were out of line.

            With signs in hand more than a dozen protestors defended freedom of speech along side freelance journalist Ken Krayeske.

            The steps of the state supreme court.

            "I was acting as a journalist."

            34-year old Krayeske was arrested during Governor Jodi Rell's inaugural parade January
            3rd.  Hartford police arrested the political activist for "breaching the parade route"
            to take pictures of Governor Rell.

            Authorities say Krayeske's photo and arrest background were on a security flier distributed by state police.  That flier has his backers concerned.

            Cliff Thorton is the former Green Party candidate for Governor,"We know some kind of list exists though we won't see it we'll have to press for it."

            A state police report released this week said the flier was a "tool" for officers to use in ensuring the assembly was peaceful.

            "Do I look like a security threat."

            Krayeske says he spent more than 12 dehumanizing hours behind bars and posted a $75,000 bail for being a journalist.

            "I would hope everyone here holding a microphone today understand I was acting under color of a journalist and I identified myself to police on a number of occasions saying I'm a working journalist this isn't about me it's about everyone holding a microphone."

            But when asked if he showed police a press pass the day he was arrested Ken Krayeske
            said, "do I need press credentials?"  Krayeske says ultimately he's putting his faith in the judicial system.

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible