{news} David Bedell serves the county's Green

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 11:23:39 EDT 2007

David Bedell serves the county's Green
---------------------------------
  Editor's note: Activism is defined by Webster's New World Dictionary as "a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action... in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue." This is the second in a series of articles exploring the stories of Lower Fairfield County's activists. They are the representatives of their respective issues — often their voices and faces are they only reason the public is aware of an issue; be it child advocacy, environmentalism, immigration or animal rights. This series will explore our activists, our issues and the connections between the two.     By A.J. O'CONNELL   aoconnell at wiltonvillager.com

STAMFORD — David Bedell likes to quote Green Party founder Ralph Nader when he tells the story of how he first became involved in politics.   "'If you don't turn on to politics, politics will turn on you,'" said Bedell, secretary of the Green Party of Fairfield County, and adds, wryly, that politics turned on him first.   "My political awakening began in 1980, when I had to register for the draft," said Bedell, 45. The military draft was abandoned in the early '70s but reinstated by President James Carter in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. After registering under protest, Bedell began what would become a lifetime of activism; joining the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors and other pacifist organizations. Later he campaigned against nuclear weapons, traveled to China during the student democracy movement and, later, in 1996, became involved with the newly-minted Green Party.   "I think it was the first time I saw an umbrella organization
 addressing such a wide range of progressive issues," said the Stamford resident. He was impressed by the four pillars of the party: non-violence, environmentalism, social justice and economic justice. In 2002, he became an officer for the Fairfield County Greens.   Bedell practices what he preaches. When he's not organizing meetings or putting Green Party candidates on the ballots for various state and local offices, he is a strict vegetarian who spends his days working for the Sabin Vaccine Institute in New Canaan, a non-profit organization devoted to fighting diseases which affect the poor. Although he does share a car with his girlfriend's son, Bedell rides the train and his bicycle to and from work. And although Bedell much prefers the behind-the-scenes roles of party secretary and campaign manager, Bedell runs the 500-member Fairfield County chapter in absence of any other officers [the chairman departed two years ago and was never replaced]. He also dutifully runs
 for office every year, an example to his fellow Greens.   "I think every activist should run for office," said Bedell. He has run for probate judge and constable in Stamford and for state senate last year.   "I didn't run too hard," he said. "I was just a placeholder."   Bedell believes that Greens ought to take advantage of the election season — the only time when most of the population pays attention to politics — to make themselves and their issues known. This year Bedell is putting up a slate of five candidates, including himself, for offices in Stamford, Norwalk, and New Canaan. He is again running for constable, using the race as a way of advocating for clean energy by vowing to deliver all court documents on his bicycle.   Darek Shapiro, a local architect and outspoken proponent of clean energy who ran in 2005 as the Green's mayoral candidate in Stamford praised Bedell's devotion to the Greens.   "He's definitely worth bragging about," he said. Shapiro said Bedell
 spends hours communicating with people in the party and said that he would not have run for mayor were it not for Bedell's perseverance. Bedell's dedication to a third major party is a way of changing the world — or at least the country, which is run by only two parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, he said.   "He's committed to creating a society that's based on social justice," said Shapiro. "That's about all he thinks about."