{news} Fw: Call Congress now to change U.S. policy towards Colombia

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 23:20:50 EDT 2007

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 2:00 PM
Subject: Call Congress now to change U.S. policy towards Colombia

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  June 18 2007

                                 .    Call Congress today to change U.S. policy towards Colombia

                                Call Congress today to change U.S. policy towards Colombia

                                American Friends Service Committee-Act Now! Calls are needed today and through this Thursday to the 5 members of the Connecticut House delegation.

                                Ask your representative to support changes to the Colombia aid package and to work to change the entire direction of US policy towards Colombia.

                                Thanks to your work and your calls Congress has taken a big step in the right direction on Colombia military aid. This year's foreign aid bill contains a number of changes that reflect our hard work for peace in Colombia, including a significant shift from aid for war to aid for development and peace. Some congressional representatives are even urging that a vote on the trade deal be delayed until President Alvaro Uribe proves he is serious about reducing violence. We need to make sure that Congress doesn't go back on the changes they've presented so far. We also need to let them know we appreciate the changes but the policy needs more work.

                                Please call your Congressional Representative today. If you live outside of Connecticut and do not know the phone of your Congressional representative please call the the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to the office of your representative.

                                When calling ask to speak with the staffer who deals with foreign affairs.

                                Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro
                                New Haven office: 203-562-3718
                                DC Office: 202-225-3661

                                Congressman John Larson
                                Hartford office: 860-278-8888
                                DC: 202-225-2265

                                Congressman Joe Courtney
                                Norwich: 860-886-0139
                                DC: 202-225-2076

                                Congressman Chris Shays:
                                DC: 202-225-5541

                                Congressman Chris Murphy
                                New Britain: 860-223-8412
                                DC: 202-225-4476

                                Here is a sample message

                                "I am a constituent calling to encourage Rep. _________ I support the shift to increase economic and social assistance for Colombia included in this year's foreign aid bill, and I urge the representative to vote "no" on any amendments that might reverse these changes. I want to encourage Rep. ___________ to continue on this path and change the entire direction of US military and trade policy towards Colombia. US aid and trade should alleviate the humanitarian crisis, support sustainable development and a peaceful solution to the conflict."

                                The current aid package is still directed towards reducing drug production. Though it contains significant changes it still maintains the current counterdrug strategy which is not working. See WOLA's fact sheet: http://www.wola.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=viewp&id=447&Itemid=8%20

                                For more information on AFSC's work in Colombia please go to http://www.tradeandwar.org

                                http://www.tradeandwar.org

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward