{news} Windham 2007 Elections!

Jean de Smet jeandesmet at galaxyinternet.net
Sun Mar 18 15:09:49 EDT 2007

Jean de Smet

39 Davis St.

Willimantic, CT  06226

(860) 456-2188

votejean at gmail.com

 03/18/07

Dear Friends,

It's been so encouraging to hear, from our friends and acquaintances around
the state, those magic words, "I voted for you" and "Thank you for giving me
something to vote for, for a change."

So encouraging, in fact, that people are ready to campaign to win in the
2007 Windham municipal elections.   We're going to win by starting right
now, and working consistently for the next eight months.

We have a lot of decisions to make, a lot of strategizing to do.  What will
it take to win, and are we willing and able to do that work?  Should I be at
the head of the slate?  Can/should we run a full slate?  Can/should we
collaborate with the other "minor" parties?

Windham, the State of Connecticut and the Federal Government give us so many
issues to work on that it's always hard to choose just a few:  Energy Rates,
Conservation/Global Warming/ Smart Growth, Universal Single-Payer Health
Coverage, Housing, good Jobs, Revitalization of our City, Taxes, Education,
the Town Charter, open and quality Government.  This list doesn't even
include our basic quality of life issues:  clean sidewalks, safe
neighborhoods, code enforcement.

But we cannot be just reactive.  As Greens, we lead the way to a Positive
Future where our entire community can prosper and grow, together.  We
exemplify the expression, "think globally and act locally."  The Green Party
brings a message of hope for our future based on local, sustainable, just
and democratic foundations.  Our values inform our actions.

I'm excited that Holly Perez offered to help Carol Silva manage the campaign
nuts and bolts, leaving me more time to hit the streets.  Jason Ortiz, a
talented graphics artist, volunteered to create a "professional" look for
our grassroots campaign.  There's renewed energy and new friends in the
state Green Party eager to build on the momentum of last year's statewide
election campaigns.  We're ready to begin!

Our first meeting to start organizing the 2007 Windham campaign will be held
March 21st at 7:00 at the Wrench in the Works Collective at 861Main Street,
Willimantic.

There will be many more opportunities for you to be involved, of course.
But I wanted you to be among the first few to be invited.  I need your
advice, support and help.  We cannot win without you.

Sincerely,

Jean de Smet