{news} Sen. Mike Gravel on drug policy...

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Fri May 18 22:39:11 EDT 2007

Mike Gravel, Democratic candidate for president, expressed his position in favor of legalizing
and regulating marijuana.  Now, to my pleasant surprise, he's advocating
the legalization & regulation of all drugs, including cocaine and meth!

Check out this snippet from an interview with the Independent Iowa:

Iowa Independent: The Progressive magazine reports that you think
marijuana should be legal and available next to beer in liquor stores.
Is that true? What about cocaine and methamphetamine?

Sen. Gravel-Alaska: It sure is true. When are we are going to learn. We went
through the Depression and we realized how we created all the gangsters
and the violence. When FDR came in he wiped out Prohibition. We need to
wipe out this whole war on drugs. We spend $50 billion to $70 billion a
year. We create criminals that aren’t criminals. We destabilize foreign
countries. With respect, to marijuana, Doug, I’ll tell you what: Go get
yourself a fifth of scotch or a fifth of gin and chug-a-lug it down and
you’ll find you lose your senses a lot faster than you would smoking
some marijuana.

Independent Iowa: Yeah, I’m 37, I think most people in my generation
agree with that point on marijuana. What about cocaine and meth?

Sen. Gravel: We need to legalize the regulation of drugs. The drug
problem is a public health problem. It’s not a criminal problem. We make
  it a criminal problem because we treat people like criminals. You take
a drug addict, you throw him in jail, you leave him there, and he learns
the criminal trade so that when he gets out you have recidivism.

Full interview here:
http://www.iowaindependent.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=131<http://www.iowaindependent.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=131>

I know this guy is a long shot, but it says a lot when a candidate for
president feels comfortable coming out in favor of the legalization &
regulation of all drugs.

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

"THE DRUG WAR IS MEANT TO BE WAGED NOT WON"

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible