{news} David Ionno Raised Iraq War Issue During Hartford City Council Election

Mike DeRosa smderosa at cox.net
Thu Nov 8 01:48:14 EST 2007

Report On Hartford CT City Council Election

Nov 7, 2007

By Mike DeRosa

David Ionno Raised Iraq War Issue During Hartford City Council Election

Hartford Green Party member David Ionno made the Iraq war and the cost of
the war a major issue during his recent campaign for Hartford City Council
(see attachment).  He documented the loss in real dollars that the Iraq war
and other wars are having on average people in Hartford, CT.  David spoke at
many candidate forums and other events and went door to door speaking to
people about his campaign for city council.  Many Hartford Green Party
members stood at the polls on election day giving out David's literature.
David was also quoted in the Hartford Courant about his stance on the war
and why it is a legitimate issue during a city council election.  The
campaign attracted some new people into our Hartford chapter.

One of the major features of this year's Hartford city council election was
the proliferation of independent candidacies not only during the regular
campaign but also during the primary election.

Twenty-three people where on the ballot on Tuesday running for nine city
council seats, the largest number of independents ever to run for election
to the Hartford City Council.  Five people ran for mayor this year during
the regular election.  The result of this was the scattering of votes among
the various candidates by the voters.  While this is healthy for democracy
it also makes getting the attention of the voters more difficult as they are
being exposed to candidates and parties that they have never encountered
before.  Another difficulty in running in Hartford for City Council is that
you have to run city wide and the Hartford City charter does not allow
representation by district.

David during the campaign David got both the AFSCME Union endorsement and
the Harford Federation of Teachers Union endorsement, a first for a Green
Party candidate in Hartford.  David is a former member of Vietnam Veterans
Against the War, and is currently president of the Central Connecticut
Chapter of Veterans for Peace.  He a Vice President in AFSCME Local 1716. He
joined the Green Party in 1996 and has been an active member of the Green
Party in Hartford and in CT.  He is a librarian in the Hartford Library
system.

David got 266 votes and got a lot of positive response from the voters
during the campaign.  David spent less than $1000 dollars during the
campaign and was able to put together quite an effective campaign in spite
of his limited funding and numerous competitors.   The Working Families
Party got the endorsement of the Hartford Courant and got two of their
candidates elected to the city council.  One Republican filled out the
minority party slots and the regular six Democrats also were elected.  While
the Hartford Greens did not win we will retain our ballot access status and
are learning from our experience in 2007 and we are looking forward to the
2008 election .  We already have a person who is considering running against
Congressman John Larson and we have a few others who have expressed interest
in running for legislative seats.

THANK YOU DAVID IONNO FOR YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE TRUTH AND YOUR COMMITMENT
TO GREEN VALUES!!