{news} Cynthia McKinney's challenge to the war parties (John Nichols, The Nation)

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 15:51:30 EST 2007

Blog: Campaign 08
John Nichols
The Nation, November 10, 2007
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters?bid=45&pid=250721<http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters?bid=45&pid=250721>

CYNTHIA MCKINNEY'S CHALLENGE TO "THE WAR
PARTIES"... Cynthia McKinney, who appears to be
in the process of reversing an earlier decision
to forego a 2008 presidential bid on the Green
Party line, has in recent days taken a number of
steps toward mounting an anti-war run against the
Democratic and Republican nominees next year.

The former Democratic congresswoman from Georgia
has got a new website up -- http://www.runcynthiarun.org<http://www.runcynthiarun.org/>
-- which seeks campaign
contributions "so we can get on with the business
of getting Cynthia on fifty-one ballots and
reaching out to the voters of this nation who are
ready for a Green alternative to the wars being
waged both at home and abroad by the War Parties
and their candidates."

And McKinney is celebrating the success of
supporters in getting her name placed on the
ballot for the February 5 Green Party
presidential primary in Illinois.

McKinney, who in a September 10 a letter to the
steering committee of the Green Party of the
United States indicated that she would not seek
the party's presidential nomination, began to
reconsider that decision almost immediately.

With steady encouragement from grassroots Greens,
many of whom came to see the maverick House
member as a political hero during her time in
Washington, McKinney quit the Democratic Party in
September and enrolled as a Green in October.

On October 22, McKinney supporters filed
paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to
establish an exploratory committee for a Green
Party presidential bid.

McKinney is signaling that a formal declaration
could come late in November. But she's already
making appearances around the country for local
Green parties and their candidates -- including
visits to South Carolina, Maine and New York
before last Tuesday's elections. And she is
certainly sounding like a candidate.

"We're going to have to do things we've never
done before if we're to have things we've never
had before," she wrote in a thank-you to Illinois
supporters. "Democracy, authentic representation,
human needs prioritized, universal access to
health care, bringing our troops home, making
peace with the world's nations, making peace with
our home planet, making peace in our own
communities, funding schools over jails... Each
of these alone is something we've never known
before. Anyone of them alone would be worth doing
things we've never done before. And all of them
can be achieved when we get engaged and make
democracy our own."

Posted by John Nichols at 11/10/2007 @ 10:32am

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

"THE DRUG WAR IS MEANT TO BE WAGED NOT WON"

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible