{news} "Cynthia turns me Green" (Bruce Gagnon, Space4Peace.blogspot)

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 11:43:29 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Aimee Smith
To: GPAX
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 11:32 AM
Subject: [GPUS-PAX] Fwd: [usgp-media] "Cynthia turns me Green" (Bruce Gagnon, Space4Peace.blogspot)

Begin forwarded message:

  From: Scott McLarty <scottmclarty at yahoo.com>
  Date: November 8, 2007 12:39:01 PM GMT-05:00
  To: usgp-media at gp-us.org, dcsgp at yahoogroups.com

  Organizing Notes

  Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network
  Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He
  frequently travels and offers reflections on
  organizing and the state of America's declining
  empire....

  Name: Bruce Gagnon Location: Bath, Maine, United
  States

  Wednesday, November 07, 2007
  http://space4peace.blogspot.com/2007/11/cynthia-turns-me-green.html

  CYNTHIA TURNS ME GREEN

  I just returned from a breakfast meeting between
  Cynthia McKinney and some Green Party leaders in
  Maine. Cynthia has now made it official that she
  is running for the Green Party nomination for
  president. She is traveling the country to meet
  with Green Party members in order to secure their
  support and build a national campaign.

  For the last four years I have been registered in
  Maine as no party preference. I call myself an
  Independent voter. At the meeting today I said I
  would immediately change my registration to Green
  Party in Maine in order to be able to support
  Cynthia's run for the presidency.

  I've said before on this blog that I am an
  unconditional fan of Cynthia McKinney. I've
  followed her courageous career in the U.S. House
  of Representatives for many years. I used to
  watch C-SPAN in awe as she took to the floor of
  the House and said things few others would ever
  say about what our country was doing. She, long
  before Dennis Kucinich did, introduced the first
  impeachment resolution in the House. The
  Democrats became tired of her speaking truth to
  power and they helped to get her run out of her
  House seat in Atlanta, Georgia. The next term she
  ran again and got her seat back. Then the Dems
  turned around and ran her out again. Now she is
  free to speak the truth even more clearly and she
  is doing it.

  McKinney will be focusing on jobs in a green
  society in her campaign. She told us today about
  having just visited with the Austria Green Party
  where they are turning their country into a model
  green society in order to deal with global
  warming. Cynthia talked about how people could be
  put to work learning to build green structures,
  repairing America's declining infrastructure and
  creating sustainable technologies instead of
  bombs.

  That is just what we need to be hearing from
  someone running for president.

  Cynthia defined winning as helping to build the
  Green Party into a viable alternative party in
  the U.S. that gives the future generations some
  place to go for political expression and change.
  Her ability to attract women, people of color,
  and disaffected Democrats and Republicans will
  surely provide the Greens the kind of boost they
  have long needed. How many times have I heard
  activists ask how do we develop connections to
  the black community so we can work together? Now
  is our chance.

  For me the whole campaign makes total sense. Mary
  Beth and I gave Cynthia a $100 donation, which
  for us is alot of money. We see it as a good
  investment in the future.

  posted by Bruce Gagnon | 12:14 PM