{news} GP RELEASE Green Party chooses candidates for campaign support

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 22:48:07 EDT 2007

Congratulations to Jean and Ronna on qualifying for national GP support!

GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
http://www.gp.org

For Immediate Release:
Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624,
mclarty at greens.org
Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805,
starlene at gp.org

Green Party chooses 2007 Green candidates for
campaign support

WASHINGTON, DC -- The Green Party of the United
States has selected nine Green candidates for
special campaign aid in the 2007 election.

The Coordinated Campaign Committee of the party
chose candidates from all over the US based on
winnability, the organizational strength of their
campaigns, prior fundraising by the candidates,
and other criteria.  The assistance given to the
chosen candidates include financial
contributions, donor and volunteer lists, and web
site help and promotion.  A list of the
candidates is appended below.

There are currently at least 121 Green candidates
running for public office in the 2007 election.
For a complete list of the candidates, visit the
Green Party election page at
<http://www.gp.org/elections.shtml>.

"I really appreciate the Green Party support for
my campaign," said Windham, Connecticut candidate
Jean de Smet. "Greens will grow small,
sustainable businesses, stabilize our tax base,
and plan for a positive future everywhere we're
elected.  Our towns and our country need our
leadership right now."

Howie Hawkins stressed the importance of his
Council campaign in Syracuse, New York: "While
the 8-2 Democratic majority on the Common Council
and the Democratic Mayor continually approve tax
breaks for corporate developers, what has
actually developed in Syracuse is a recurring
structural fiscal deficit and the highest poverty
rates among America's 100 largest cities,
including the highest black poverty rate, the
third highest overall poverty rate, and a 45%
child poverty rate.  My alternatives to these
failed trickle-down economic policies include
progressive tax reform, fully funded schools, a
municipal bank to plan, finance, and develop
worker co-ops in green building and sustainable
manufacturing, and a radically expanded living
wage ordinance that includes a community hiring
hall to insure city residents and people of color
get their fair share of jobs with the city and
city contractors."

Jennaro Pullano, Green candidate for Mayor of
Reading, Pennsylvania, is promoting a plan to
eliminate blight and crime and to invest in
neighborhoods: "The people in this city do not
believe that this city is heading in the right
direction...  We will stop using taxpayers' money
to build banks and movie theaters downtown, and
redirect our tax money back to the
neighborhoods."

List of chosen candidates:

California
 Janice Brittain, Candidate for City Council,
Hermosa Beach http://www.janicebrittain.com $300

Connecticut
 Jean de Smet, Candidate for First Selectman,
Windham http://www.VoteJean.com
 Ronna Stuller, Candidate for Board of
Education, New London http://www.nlgreens.org

Maryland
 Maria Allwine, Candidate for President of the
Baltimore City Council
http://www.takebge.org/main.htm

Massachusetts
 Grace Ross, Candidate for Councilor-at-large,
Worcester http://www.grace4worcester.org

New York
 Howie Hawkins, Candidate for Councilor
At-Large, City of Syracuse
http://www.howiehawkins.org
 Margaret Human, Candidate for New Paltz Town
Councilman (At-Large)
http://www.humanfornewpaltz.org
 David Lussier, Candidate for Albany County
Legislature, District 7
http://albanygreens.pbwiki.com/Dave

Pennsylvania
 Jennaro Pullano, Candidate for Mayor, Reading
http://www.pullanoformayor.org

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
Fax 202-319-7193
 Green Party News Center
http://www.gp.org/newscenter.shtml
 Green Party Speakers Bureau
http://www.gp.org/speakers
 2007 national Green Party meeting in Reading,
Pa.: video footage, blog and media coverage
http://www.gp.org/meeting2007/

~ END ~