{news} Fw: USGP-INT Sara Roy's review of Hamas book censored

Kenneth Humphrey kumfry at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 10:28:34 EDT 2007

        Not a mention here from Amy recognizing the
havoc rampaging Israel unleashed on innocent Lebanese
civilians, above all children, with their cluster
bomblets (supplied by rogue nation USA) that are STILL
causing war crimes against humanity and keeping
peasant farmers from working their fields.

        Nor does Amy comment about the Israeli bombing
the oil facility on the coast of Lebanon that caused
massive pollution, and then compounded the
environmental damage by refusing to allow cleanup
crews to start the cleanup process for weeks. (Not a
word from Jingo Joe Lieberman on this either, yet he
postures as a great environmentalist, and even is
listed favorably by the League of Conservation
Voters!)

        For Amy's biasted benefit, being critical of
the rightwing Israeli regime is NOT antisemitic.
Feeling Jingo/Chickenhawk Joe Lieberman is a disgrace
to our state and needs to be somehow removed from his
sinecure as senator so that Connecticut residents and
this nation can be spared more than five more years of
this Bush clone as he caters to the rightist Israeli
regime. As I've noted, we need a recall or impeachment
law in the case of a self-serving type like warmonger
Lieberman ( harping for assaults upon Iran, thus
extending this war as Nixon and Kissinger did in
making war on Cambodia).

        Ken Humphrey

http://www.palestine-studies.org/final/en/journals/printer.php?aid=7087

==============================================================================================================
> [...]
> of an international jihad network with links> to
> al-Qaeda that must be met with force. He further
> argues ? and this> is the core of his book ? that
> despite the existence of differentiated> political,
> social and military sectors within Hamas, they are
> all part> of the same "apparatus of terror.">  >
> Levitt devotes significant attention to attacking
> the Islamist social> sector (dawa) and Hamas's
> charitable institutions. It is the principle> aim of
> his book to show how Hamas uses its extensive
> social-service> network-mosques, schools,
> kindergartens, orphanages, hospitals,> clinics,
> sports clubs, youth clubs-to further its primary
> political> agenda, which he claims is the
> destruction of Israel. He argues that> through its
> social support structure and services, "Hamas
> leverages> the appreciation (and indebtedness) it
> earns through social welfare> activities to garner
> support ? both political and logistical ? for its>
> terrorist activities." Levitt summarizes his
> argument as follows: "The> general deprivation of
> the Palestinian people in the Israeli-occupied>
> territories predisposes them to favor the
> much-needed social support> that Hamas provides." He
> continues, "In addition to purchasing> goodwill,
> charities also create a built-in logistical support
> umbrella> underneath which terrorist operations are
> sheltered and operate." He> explains that the dawa
> network operationally supports terrorism> through
> recruitment, employment and financing and by
> providing> institutional legitimacy.>  > His
> evidence, at times interesting, particularly with
> regard to> Hamas's external sources of financing, is
> more often than not based on> assumption,
> extrapolation and generalization. For example, as
> evidence> for how religious organizations raise
> money for Palestinian terrorism,> Levitt quotes from
> a pamphlet produced by a Quranic memorization>
> center that was sponsored by the Ramallah-al Bireh
> charity committee.> The pamphlet listed 30 ways to
> enter heaven, including "Jihad for the> sake of
> Allah by fighting with one's soul and money.">  > In
> another example of how hospitals are used to support
> terrorism,> Levitt briefly describes the Dar
> al-Salam Hospital: "According to> information cited
> by the FBI," the hospital is considered a Hamas>
> institution because it was founded with "Hamas funds
> and protection."> But Levitt fails to provide any
> real evidence of these funds or how> and why they
> are considered "Hamas." The assumption is that
> these> ties, even if they are shown to exist, are
> inherently evil and can be> nothing else.>  > In a
> chapter on how the dawa teaches terror and
> radicalizes> Palestinian society, Levitt writes,
> "Recipients of Hamas financial aid> or social
> services are less likely to turn down requests from
> the> organization such as allowing their homes to
> serve as safe houses for> Hamas fugitives, ferrying
> fugitives, couriering funds or weapons,> storing and
=== message truncated ===> To be removed please

mailto://ctgp-news-unsubscribe@ml.greens.org