{news} proposed agenda for 10-16-07 EC meeting of CTGP in Glastonbury, CT.

Ken Humphrey kumfry at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 16 11:07:18 EDT 2007

             Amy is not being factual when it comes to ADL. Perhaps before recent times when the Israel lobby became so powerful in stifling criticism of Israeli occupation policies in its abuse of the Palestinians, ADL did function more as the NAACP did. Not today. I know for a fact that ADL acts as a reactive arm of AIPAC and the Jewish lobby.

              There have been two situations I've observed personally, both in the  Willimantic Chronicle. First, William Collins contributes a weekly column on Saturdays. He's a very solid commentator on many varied topics from a progressive point of view. When he wrote a commentary which contained a small portion critical of Israel, the 'Watchdog" aspect of the Jewish lobby pounced, and Wm. Collins did not appear for some time. I finally wrote to the Chronicle editor noting I missed Collins, a commentator who knows Ct. thoroughly, and further beyond our state. And Collins' commentaries again began to appear regularly in the Chronicle.

               Even more blatant and strident a reaction of the Jewish lobby appeared some time after Jimmy Carter's book about the Israeli/Palestinian issue came out. It was about the time that Carter was welcomed to give a talk at Brandeis University. (Carter's book is in the Willimantic and Mansfield libraries and I read the book). This time it was absolutely the ADL Watchdog reaction to criticism of Israel. A Jewish university prof, I can't recall the university, contributed a lengthy strident and abrasive attack on JImmy Carter and his audacity evenly moderately and evenly to brave the American/Jewish lobby and criticize Israeli policies toward the Palesinians. This was a clearcut case where the state ADL fulfilled the function of reacting to an unfavorable critique of  the rightwing Israeli government. Neither Jimmy Carter nor the earlier Wm. Collins reference to Israel remotely smacked of anti-semitism, a term that Amy freely uses. (I had never even known Amy was Jewish until i  was critical of Joe Lieberman perhaps three years ago or so, at a Green chapter meeting in Willimantic. At the time she didn't have much to say about the Palestine matter ).

               Just as Amy could benefit from proofreading her spellings and overall posting, she also needs to inform herself on topics such as the rightwing Israeli government's Middle East policies before tossing out the term anti-semitism. Being critical of Israel is NOT anti-semitism. A heck of a lot of Jews I'm acquainted with are very critical of Israeli policies toward the Palestinians and  Lebanon last summer. Of course they brave the Jewish lobby when they do this since they are castigated as self-haters, and worse. Steve Heller is a Ct. Jew down New Haven way who's written critically of Israel and its treatment of Palestinians for years. A year ago Heller introduced Seth Farber who talked about his recent book 'Radicals, Rabbis and Peacemakers-Conversations With Jewish Critics of Israel' in Mansfield Center. This was at the annual chapter meeting and special speaker program  of the ACLU.

              I am well aware that the Palestinian matter and criticism of Israel can be a very touchy subject in the Green Party. BUT, Amy will not leave the matter alone. I can't stand by and let her keep up the drumbeat of claiming anti-semitism when it comes to the beleaguered Palestinians who have been reduced to bantu status very similar to the blacks in apartheid South Africa which finally ended. The bottom line with Israeli policies is that many Jews as well as non-Jewish friends of Israel strongly feel that the intransigence and belligerency of Israel in the Middle East not only threatens to inflame the entire region, but further, threatens the very security and survival of Israel. Americans have a strong interest since we are entwined with Israel and its policies. .

               If this is deemed to be posted on the wrong Green list group, I replied to whereever Amy posted it.  Serious misrepresentation of facts need the serious inaccuracies to be corrected.

                Ken Humphrey