{news} news} A candidate??*** US House candidate inConn.'s5thDistrictargues for impeachment

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Sun Sep 23 12:29:35 EDT 2007

I myself agree with Allen's approach.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: allan brison<mailto:apbrison at hotmail.com>
  To: smderosa at cox.net<mailto:smderosa at cox.net> ; amyvasnunes at hotmail.com<mailto:amyvasnunes at hotmail.com> ; great_land_trust at sbcglobal.net<mailto:great_land_trust at sbcglobal.net> ; vogel at ct.metrocast.net<mailto:vogel at ct.metrocast.net> ; hartfordgreens at yahoogroups.com<mailto:hartfordgreens at yahoogroups.com> ; ctgp-news at ml.greens.org<mailto:ctgp-news at ml.greens.org> ; greenpartyct at yahoo.com<mailto:greenpartyct at yahoo.com>
  Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:16 PM
  Subject: {news} news} A candidate??*** US House candidate inConn.'s5thDistrictargues for impeachment

  Connecticut Green Party - Part of the GPUS
  http://www.ctgreens.org/<http://www.ctgreens.org/> - http://www.greenpartyus.org/<http://www.greenpartyus.org/>

  to unsubscribe click here
  mailto:ctgp-news-unsubscribe at ml.greens.org<mailto:ctgp-news-unsubscribe at ml.greens.org>
  Mike,

  I think your comments are right on.

  The question of who to endorse cuts right to the core of some of the difficulties of Green Party politics. I see two issues here.

  First, should our candidates first have to prove their mettle by paying their dues as Green Party activists, or should we welcome those who have proven themselves as activists outside the party in their chosen issue area?

  I feel that we should encourage and welcome issue activists into the party as members and, if they are interested in running, as candidates.

  Once having established the legitimacy, in principle, of outside activists joining our party to run for electoral office, we then come to the second question. Are their views close enough to Green Party key values?

  In my opinion this is where the discussion properly belongs. It can also be  a difficult question.

  We are not, and don't want to be, a totally autocratic party with a strict party line. We want to have room for a wide range of diversity. Each of us, however, has our own benchmark for what kind of diversity is acceptible. I would not be able, for example, to endorse a candidate who approved of US premptive wars of conquest. There are other issues where I might look the other way if the candidate was solid on most of our (my) issues.

  But we all have our own priorities of what may or may not be acceptible. This is where the discussion should take place.

  I would be very disappointed if, instead, we accept or reject a potential candidate purely on the basis of whether he came from inside or outside the party.

  Allan