{news} Jean de Smet opposes diesel plant

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 11:57:33 EDT 2008

http://www.wfsb.com/money/15788295/detail.html

Power Plant Opponents: CL&P Bullying Us
Utility Proposes Building Power Plant In Lebanon

POSTED: 8:32 pm EDT April 3, 2008
LEBANON, Conn. -- Some opponents of a proposal to build a power plant in Lebanon believe they're being bullied by the utility company.

The proposed diesel-powered plant would only kick in during periods of high electricity demand, according to Connecticut Light and Power, which has a proposal to build on land it owns in Lebanon.

An electrical substation currently sits on the utility's land. People in the neighborhood said they oppose the plant in their neighborhood or in anyone else's.

"I feel that in this day and age, people are very conscious of what's happening to their health and the health of their children, and it's unacceptable," said Luanne Llanes, of Lebanon. "We feel that CL&P is bullying us and we're not going to have it."

Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Dan Kain reported the site is about 19 feet from the Windham town line and downtown Willimantic is a half-mile away.

"Willimantic is in a valley, Windham is in a valley, and the pollution from the power plant, which will be running on hot, humid days, will come down off the mountain and lay over our city," Windham First Selectman Jean de Smet said. "We're very concerned about the health aspects."

Kain said the issue is over the need for the plant or more peak power plants in general.

"My understanding from state agencies is that we don't have a peak-power problem and won't have one for 10 years, at least. I think that we're missing the boat if we don't concentrate on energy conservation. That's what we're trying to do here," de Smet said.

If the state Department of Public Utility Control approves the project, the state's Siting Council will hold a public hearing.

© 2008 by WFSB.com.