{news} (Norwich Bulletiin) Green Party hopes to take Courtney's seat

Tim McKee timmckee at mail.com
Sun Apr 13 09:59:42 EDT 2008

Green Party hopes to take Courtney’s seat

By MICHAEL GANNONNorwich BulletinPosted Apr 12, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

Norwich, Conn. —

The Green Party came out swinging Saturday at its convention for the 2nd
Congressional District.

G. Scott Deshefy, 56, of Lebanon was nominated by 17 party members
gathered at the Otis Library for the seat held by Democratic U.S. Rep.
Joe Courtney. He took on both major parties in his acceptance speech.

“We are an unsustainable locomotive, and Democrats and Republicans are
asleep at the switch,” Deshefy said.

He called Iraq an illegal war, saying he would end it “tomorrow” if he
could and would redirect military spending to education, infrastructure
and health care. He said he would press issues of social and economic
justice, including regional living wages for workers.

About the environment, Deshefy spoke of his 26 years as a scientist in
the enforcement division of the state Department of Environmental
Protection.

“I have a track record,” he said. “I’ve gone after polluters. And I’ve
fined them when necessary.”

He served on the Montville Board of Education from 1982 to 1987,
including two years as chairman.

Among those at the convention was Windham First Selectman Jean de Smet,
the highest-ranking elected Green Party official in the state.

Attendee Ralph Judkins of Columbia said he is a former Democrat.

“I see the Green Party as more connected with regular people and more
willing to meet their needs,” he said.

Beth Angel of East Hampton said her town has a track record of electing
third-party candidates and is not deterred by an uphill battle.

“It’s hard work,” she said. “But it can be done.”

Reach Michael Gannon at 425-4231 or mgannon@ norwichbulletin.com

PROFILE

G. Scott Deshefy

Age: 56

Candidacy: Green Party member seeking Connecticut’s 2ndCongressional
District.

Personal: Married with one daughter; native of Montville and a resident
of Lebanon.

Profession: Scientist, retired after more than 26 years with
Connecticut’s Department of Environmental Protection.

Experience: Served three terms on the Montville Board of Education,
1982-87, including the last two years as chairman.

On the Web: Campaign Web site is www.newmenu.org/ deshefy4congress_ct

Tim McKee
Manchester CT
Home-860-643-2282
Cell-860-778-1304
Tim McKee, is a National Commitee member of the Green Party of the United States and is a spokesperson for the Green Party of CT.
BLOG- http://thebiggreenpicture.blogspot.com

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?