{news} Deshefy for congress-Courntey-Sullivan sheduled debates

Amy Vas Nunes amyvasnunes at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:59:10 EDT 2008

Scott will do great with these Bozos. Courtney is a wimp takes no stands till safe I know him from way back when he was chair of Ct CCD. Will these be on ch8 and cable 14 Charter. Why are there no Willimantic locations might they be added? FYI for Scott my Chinese friend can't translate because he does not have a Chinese character PC.    Amy

From: timmckee at mail.comTo: ctgp-news at ml.greens.org; Deshefy_For_Congress at yahoo.comDate: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:17:57 -0500CC: Subject: {news} Deshefy for congress-Courntey-Sullivan sheduled debates

ctlocalpolitics.net

Courtney-Sullivan Debates Scheduled
by Genghis Conn · August 14th, 2008 · 9:11 pm · 6 Comments

The Courtney and Sullivan campaigns have agreed to a series of five debates this fall, in addition to a joint television appearance on WTNH-TV (Channel 8 ). The Sullivan campaign isn’t happy, however, since they had wanted twelve debates and three or four joint television appearances. From a Sullivan release:
[Campaign manager Scott] Veley said, “It’s a start but we’re not where we need to be with the schedule. This is a large district and unless we get 12 debates we’re going to be shortchanging the voters.[…]Veley concluded, “My sense is that Mr. Courtney realizes he must participate in the debate process but he wants to keep his appearances to a minimum. I understand his situation. His record is impossible to defend. He wants higher taxes and his response to the energy situation has been to take a vacation. […] Sean is ready to debate anytime, anywhere.

The Courtney campaign seems interested in holding multi-candidate events, which could include Daniel Reale (Libertarian) and G.Scott Deshefy (Green). The Sullivan campaign, it seems, would rather have one-on-one events. Veley said that voters deserve to “…see the two candidates, side by side, discussing their experiences, their records and their vision for the future.”
The debates are scheduled for the following locations:

New London (The Garde Theater)
Lyme (Old Lyme Chamber of Commerce debate)
Norwich (the AARP debate)
Enfield (Enfield High School)
Plainfield (Northeast Chamber of Commerce)
Courtney, Sullivan Spar on Energy
Sullivan has been hammering Courtney lately about the fact that the House is on vacation (of course, the President has been over in China, taking in the sights, so I don’t think anyone’s been all that committed to finding a solution to the energy crisis this August. At least the House Republicans have been staging their shadow session with the lights off). The Sullivan campaign recently sent out this release:
“It has now been 13 days since Joe Courtney voted to give himself a vacation while the energy issue is left unattended in Washington. While I have advocated for greater alternative energy sources, Joe Courtney has voted against lifting the ban on offshore oil and gas drilling as well even considering more energy production.”

What I assume Mr. Sullivan is referring to by “even considering more energy production,” which he cites as this bill, is a passage that prohibits some new leases for oil and gas exploration on the Outer Continental Shelf. Also voting for that bill: Chris Shays.
The second part, also about new drilling, is a hot topic of debate right now. Courtney sent out the following in an email to supporters:
So while they scream “Drill Now” in an empty House chamber, I have to ask why were they quiet when they had chance to act? Perhaps, they’re more concerned with the profits of their most reliable campaign contributor, Big Oil, rather than the wellbeing of the American people. It is inexcusable.With an issue as complex as our energy policy, political theater is inadequate and embarrassing. It’s understandable, however, when you consider the GOP’s sorry record on the issue after 12 years of virtually unchecked control of Congress – eight of those years alongside the Bush/Cheney White House.[…]Yesterday, I visited STR Technologies in Enfield, an exciting new solar panel production firm that is hiring 180 new workers with a grant my office secured to make the Pentagon more energy efficient. It is that type of leadership Connecticut needs in Washington, not a rubber stamp for two oil millionaires in the White House.

Sullivan, however, is going to benefit from not having been in Washington during those years. There isn’t really any good way to tie him to Bush, although it looks like Courtney certainly is going to try.
I have to imagine that energy is going to be a big topic in debates all around the country this fall. I look forward to seeing what solutions the candidates propose.
…There’s a solar panel company in Enfield? Neat.
Share This
→ 6 CommentsTags: National Elections
Tim McKee, Manchester CT, main number cell-860-778-1304, 860-643-2282
 National Commitee member of the Green Party of the United States and is a spokesperson for the Green Party of CT.
BLOG-http://thebiggreenpicture.blogspot.com
--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!Choose From 200+ Email AddressesGet a Free Account at www.mail.com!