{news} 2nd District Race: Third-party contenders seek spots on ballot

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 18:52:27 EDT 2008

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x2045581168/2nd-District-Race-Third-party-contenders-seek-spots-on-ballot

2nd District Race: Third-party contenders seek spots on ballot
By JOHN PENNEY
Norwich Bulletin
Posted Aug 24, 2008 @ 01:59 AM

With a few months to go in Connecticut's 2nd District congressional race,
two more candidates have made strides to be added to the ballot.

Green Party candidate Scott Deshefy and Libertarian Party candidate Dan
Reale plan to join incumbent Democrat U.S Rep. Joe Courtney and Republican
challenger Sean Sullivan in the race for Congress. Deshefy and Reale
submitted petitions to the Secretary of the State's Office with more than
the required number of signatures needed to qualify for candidacy.

Deshefy, a biologist and state Department of Environmental Protection
scientist for 20 years, said he wants to leverage his academic and work
credentials to push for ecological protection, climate control and smarter
land-use legislation.

He also favors reduced military spending, preferring to funnel that money
into infrastructure and education reform.

"We need a scientific acumen to solve these complex problems," Deshefy, a
Lebanon resident, said. "But, I've also inhaled welder's fumes when I worked
in a shipfitter yard, so I'd fight for green energy use at the sub base,
General Dynamics and at Dow Chemical."

He acknowledged his major party competitors had the ability to raise more
money in coming months, but dismissed any perceived disadvantages.

 "I'm an old athlete, and I've prevailed many times as an underdog," Deshefy
said. "In terms of change, idealism and knowledge, I'm the front-runner."

Reale, of Plainfield, said he's pushing for increased congressional
oversight and a restoration of the Bill of Rights.

"Giving Congress the sole ability to print money, not the Federal Reserve,
would solve a lot of our problems, including inflation, overnight," Reale,
28, said. "The debt-based system we're under now debases the dollar and is
one of the reasons fuel prices are so high."

Reale said he's focusing on fundraising, and estimates he needs $60,000 to
contend with Courtney and Sullivan.

"I'm prepared to speak and meet with any organization," he said. "That's a
lot more than the two-party system candidates are doing."

Copyright © 2008 GateHouse Media, Inc. Some Rights Reserved.