{news} Friends of East Rock Park: SUMMER CYCLING CELEBRATION

allan brison apbrison at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 22:23:54 EDT 2008

Greens:

Join me this Sat in this great community event in my ward. I'll be riding up to the summit with the group meeting at Nica's on Orange Street at Noon. At 5pm we will then bike from the summit to the New Haven Green for the Squirrel Nut Zippers concert.

The roads will be closed to motor traffic except for a shuttle bus leaving for the North Meadow.

At the summit will be a Ferris Wheel and a Carousal. Read below.

Allan

                                     It’s here!  The coolest event of the year…

This Saturday, July 19, New Haven will host the first ever Summer Cycling Celebration
in our very own East Rock Park.  Brought to you by the City of New Haven Office of
Cultural Affairs, Elm City Cycling, The Devil’s Gear Bike Shop, and of course the
Friends of East Rock Park.

9 – Race Registration (College Woods)
10-12 – Time Trials (College Woods)
12 – Neighborhood Ride to summit* – (starts at Nica’s Grocery Store on Orange Street)
12-5 - A Ferris Wheel and Carousel (Summit)
        - Kite Flying* (bring your own or make your own…we’ll have the fixins – N. Meadow)
        - A Bike Jamboree (Summit)
        - Live music and Street Performers – (Summit and N. Meadow)
        - Food vendors – (Summit and N. Meadow)
        - Mountain Biking tours
        - Recycling Outreach and Education* – (Summit and N. Meadow)
2:00 - A Geology Walk by World Famous Cope MacClintock* (East Rock Road Bridge)
4:00 - A Kid’s Nature Walk by Justin Pegnataro from Two Coyotes** (North Meadow)
5:00 – Bicycling for Ladies Musical (Summit)
And much more!

See below map for all locations.
*Friends of East Rock Park sponsored
** Co-sponsored by Friends of East Rock Park and URI

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS and $100,000 – you choose which one you'd like to do!
- Work with other cool folks at the recycling centers teaching New Haveners how to recycle.
- Help kids make kites and judge for our kite flying contests.
- Calculate complicated math equations (just kidding!)

You give us two hours, we’ll give you the world, a free Friends of East Rock Park t-shirt,
some seriously good times, the chance to make a child smile, a life-sized wax statue of
yourself and a set of ginsu knives.  Call Justin Elicker at 203-500-2969 or email us at:
info at friendsofeastrockpark.org.

Nervous about biking up to the top?  DON’T BE!  It’s easier than you think, they’ll be
drinks and music along the way, we’re all in it together, even your mom could do it, and
if you really get tired or have a hernia, you can give your bike to the bike valet and take the
shuttle to the top.

Still not convinced?  Check out this chart brought to you by the National Holiday Statistical
Agency:

Please donate to Friends of East Rock Park.  It’s okay, it’ll only be just a little pin prick.
It's tax deductible and completely free of charge!

The Urban Resources Initiative has been kind enough to give us home for our funds. Send checks (with your address on them) made out to URI with "for Friends of East Rock Park" in the memo line to:

Urban Resources Initiative205 Prospect StreetNew Haven, CT 06511----------------------------------------------------------------------------Want to know what's going on in East Rock Park?  Figured out the solution to global
warming?  Thinking that it’s time you reached out and touched some new and diverse friends?   Contact us at:

info at friendsofeastrockpark.org

Justin Elicker 203-500-2969 / Betty Thompson 203-785-9331

www.friendsofeastrockpark.org