{news} Fw: Important Advocacy Actions for Peace and Social Justice in Connecticut

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 18 00:01:30 EDT 2008

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 6:00 PM
Subject: Important Advocacy Actions for Peace and Social Justice in Connecticut

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  June 13 2008

                                 .    Take ACTION: Ask Congress to Stand by Colombia's Victims of Violence.
                                  .    Hartbeat Ensemble: Plays in the Park Series

                                 .    June 21: Protest launching of Nuclear Sub U.S.S. New Hampshire

                                 .    For Hartford residents: Call City Council & ask them to support immigrant rights

                                Take ACTION: Ask Congress to Stand by Colombia's Victims of Violence.

                                Take ACTION: Ask Congress to Stand by Colombia's Victims of Violence.

                                Last year you encouraged Congress to make many positive changes in U.S. policy towards Colombia and it did! It's time to make that call again. The foreign aid subcommittees in the House and Senate are set to "mark up" their respective bills in mid-July and we must urge them to stand by Colombia's victims of violence and continue to cut military aid.

                                Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 today - or anytime in the next three weeks - to be connected to your representative or senators. When you call, ask to speak to their foreign policy aide. Here is a sample call script:

                                "I am a constituent calling to encourage Rep./Senator ____________ to ensure that this year's foreign aid bill stands by Colombia's victims of violence. Last year, the Congress moved U.S. policy in the right direction by reducing military aid. Now, reports linking the Colombian military to assassinations of civilians have surfaced. Congress must continue to cut military aid to Colombia. The U.S. can have a positive effect in Colombia if it continues to support those most affected by the conflict. Indigenous and Afro-Colombians are some of the most affected by the humanitarian crisis and we want to encourage you to support them by sharing your concerns with the chair of the foreign operations subcommittee before the aid bill goes to mark up."

                                Other Talking Points:

                                Afro-Colombians make up 30% of the 4 million who have already been made homeless by the conflict. In many cases the military working in tandem with paramilitary groups have caused the displacement of entire communities. Today, you can make a difference in this situation by voting to make cuts to U.S. military aid and sharing your concerns with the chair of the foreign operations subcommittee before the aid bill goes to mark up.

                                High-level corruption is part of a pattern of widespread human rights abuses in Colombia. Today more than 60 members of the Colombian Congress are under investigation for ties to right wing death squads. Former intelligence officer Rafael Garcia, himself imprisoned for his role in covering up the criminal histories of paramilitary leaders, testified that members of the armed forces and government ministries, too, are enmeshed with the illegal militias. Please cut military aid to Colombia and share your concerns with the chair of the foreign operation subcommittee before the bill goes to mark up.

                                We've already achieved some changes in U.S. policy towards Colombia, but we've got to keep building on our work! Thank you for your help.

                                www.tradeandwar.org

                                June 21: Protest launching of Nuclear Sub U.S.S. New Hampshire

                                Vigil in protest at launching of USS New Hampshire fast attack submarine

                                10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
                                Saturday, June 21, 2008
                                Electric Boat Shipyard
                                Groton, CT

                                Protest the endless war and this machine built to wage it.

                                Meet at Fort Griswold State Park, 9:30 a.m.
                                March to Main Gate of Electric Boat, 10 a.m.

                                Directions to Fort Griswold

                                from the south, I-95, exit 85, Thames Street. Go straight at bottom of exit, through two lights, then second right, Park Avenue, two blocks to Fort Griswold

                                from the north, I-95, exit 87, Clarence Sharp Highway, follow to Meridian Street intersection, turn right,
                                follow to Mitchell Street intersection, turn left, then second right, Park Avenue, two blocks to Fort Griswold

                                Call 203-777-3849 or 860-724-7066 for further information
                                or email skobasa at snet.net

                                Nonviolence Guidelines (adapted from the Iraq Pledge of Resistance)

                                1. Our attitude will be one of openness and respect toward all we encounter in our actions.

                                2. We will use no violence, verbal or physical, toward any person.

                                3. We will not destroy or damage any property. We do nonetheless recognize that certain objects, such as nuclear weapons or other instruments of mass killing, cannot be considered property in any legitimate sense, and we fully support nonviolent actions of Ploughshares activists and others offered in resistance to such instruments or war.

                                4. We will carry no weapons.

                                5. We will not bring any drugs or alcohol.

                                For Hartford residents: Call City Council & ask them to support immigrant rights

                                We welcome immigrants into our neighborhoods and our workplaces. Generation of immigrants have made Hartford strong and we value our proud immigration heritage.
                                Let Hartford City Council Members know we want to live in a City of Hope, not a City of Fear. We want Hartford to be safe for everyone.

                                Ask them to act now to pass a law stating that Hartford city government will not concern itself with immigration status. Immigration laws are federal laws and not the business of our city.

                                Please call our elected representatives today:

                                City Council Member Phone Number

                                All calls are in 860 area code, but Hartford residents only please call.

                                Councilwoman Veronica Airey-Wilson 757-9575

                                Assistant Majority Leader James M. Boucher 757-9578
                                Councilperson Luis E. Cotto 757-9573
                                Minority Leader Larry Deutsch 757-9577
                                Councilperson Kenneth Kennedy, Jr. 757-9571
                                Councilperson Matthew D. Ritter 757-9572
                                Councilperson Pedro E. Segarra 757-9579
                                Assistant Majority Leader Calixto Torres 757-9576
                                Majority Leader R-Jo Winch 757-9574

                                And join the effort to establish rights
                                for immigrants in Hartford:

                                Our next meeting is Monday, June 16th, 2008 at 5:30pm
                                @ Hartford City Council

                                For more information on the work of the Hartford Immigrant Rights Coalition please contact any one of these member organizations.

                                Organizations Involved:

                                ACORN
                                860-232-2675

                                Alianca Brasileira
                                860-236-0788

                                American Friend's Service Committee
                                860-523-1534

                                Center for
                                Callaborative Justice
                                860-692-3066

                                Connecticut Center for a New Economy
                                860-280-7320

                                Hartford Areas Rally Together
                                860-525-3449

                                Interfaith Coalition for Equity and Justice
                                860-548-1744

                                National Lawyer's Guild - CT Chapter
                                860-570-4638

                                SEIU Local 32bj
                                860-951-6614

                                UNITE HERE Local 217
                                860- 246-2561

                                Working Families Party
                                860-523-1699

                                Hartbeat Ensemble: Plays in the Park Series

                                free! plays about people and health care

                                family activities & live music at 4:00 pm
                                performances begin at 5:00 pm

                                Bring a picnic or buy food from local vendors!
                                Visit www.hartbeatensemble.org or call 860.548.9144 for more information.

                                In case of rain, performances will take place at
                                Hartford Children's Theater, 360 Farmington Ave.

                                july 12: pope park
                                with: Lorena Garay

                                july 13: goodwin park
                                with: Mixashawn

                                july 19: keney park
                                with: Richard McGee III

                                july 20: sigourney square
                                with: Abu and Company

                                july 26: blue back square
                                with: Stephen Haynes & Friends

                                july 27: elizabeth park
                                with: JUJU
                                www.hartbeatensemble.org

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward