{news} NEWS ADVISORY: Greens formally endorse Cindy Sheehan over Rep. Pelosi in SF

Tim McKee timmckee at mail.com
Tue Jun 24 22:43:44 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----

From: "Green Party-CT"
To: timmckee at mail.com
Subject: Fwd: [media-states] NEWS ADVISORY: Greens formally endorse Cindy
Sheehan over Rep. Pelosi in SF
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:42:15 -0700 (PDT)

greenparty-press at comcast.net wrote:

  From: greenparty-press at comcast.net
  To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  Sheehan over Rep. Pelosi
  in SF
  Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:06:15 -0700

  News Advisory
  THE GREEN PARTY OF CALIFORNIA www.cagreens.org

  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
  Tuesday, June 24, 2008
  Contact: Erika McDonald, SF spokesperson, 415.337-1499
  emcdonald at cagreens.org
  Susan King, GPCA spokesperson, 415.823-5524 sking at cagreens.org
  Cres Vellucci, GPCA press secretary, 916.996-9170
  cvellucci at cagreens.org

  San Francisco Green Party endorses Cindy Sheehan
  run against Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi;
  Greens will be strong ally in longshot bid

  SAN FRANCISCO (June 24, 2008) – The San Francisco Green Party – a
  powerful force in progressive San
  Francisco politics – has endorsed the independent run by peace
  activist Cindy Sheehan against
  Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D) in November.

  The SFGP decision means Sheehan – who lost her son Casey in the war
  in Iraq – will have a strong
  ally in her bid to upset Pelosi in the 8th Congressional District.
  Greens hold several key San
  Francisco elected positions, including SF Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi,
  and Mark Sanchez, president of
  the SF Board of Education, who is running for a supervisor slot.

  "We are glad she is taking on Speaker Pelosi, who has been a huge
  disappointment even to her
  Democratic Party base," said Erika McDonald, spokesperson for the
  SFGP.

  "We admire Sheehan's bravery in standing up to the corrupt two-party
  system. She has suffered
  immeasurable loss because of the unwillingness of our government to
  stand up for justice," added
  McDonald.

  The Greens, who are not putting up a candidate of their own in the
  race, hope to provide some needed
  muscle for Sheehan, who must collect about 10,000 signatures by Aug.
  8 to have her name put on the
  ballot. As of this past week, she had about 3,500 signatures.

  The goals of the Green Party and Sheehan are similar – protect U.S.
  troops in Iraq by ending the
  war now, a position rejected by Pelosi and other Democrats in
  Congress who say they are opposed to
  the war, but continue to fund billions for it.

  Greens, like Sheehan, have endorsed the impeachment of Pres. George
  Bush, vice-president Dick Cheney
  and other Bush Administration officials. Sheehan also comes from
  working class roots, which compares
  favorably to the Green Party's strong social justice platform.

  -30-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This
email is for press and media notices for the CT Greens

Tim McKee cell (860) 778-1304 or (860) 643-2282 National Committee Member
of the Green Party(Connecticut)

Tim McKee, Manchester CT, main number cell-860-778-1304
Tim McKee, is a National Commitee member of the Green Party of the United States and is a spokesperson for the Green Party of CT.
BLOG- http://thebiggreenpicture.blogspot.com

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses