{news} Approved minutes from the 7PM 2-26-08 SCC meeting of CTGP, quorum was meet.

B Barry roseberry3 at cox.net
Sun Mar 30 22:10:16 EDT 2008

Approved minutes from the 7PM 2-26-08 SCC meeting of CTGP, quorum was meet.

Location: Portland’s Senior Center, 7 Waverly Avenue, Portland, CT 06480
Phone:  860-342-6760

Voting Attendees by chapter: Fairfield: Richard Duffee; Greater Hartford:
Barbara Barry, Secretary of

GP of CT, Christopher Reilly, and Treasurer of GP of CT; Michael DeRosa, a
Co-chairperson of GP of CT; New Haven: Jerry Martin;  Tolland: Tim McKee.

Non-voting attendees: Greater Hartford: Steve Fournier;  Central: John
Killien

Facilitator:  Steve Fournier.    No formally designated timekeeper.

A.      Preliminaries:

1.      Introductions of voting attendees/non-voting attendees; chapters;
quorum was met; ground rules.

2.      Approval of tonight’s proposed agenda; no deletions; additions:
state voter lists and email etiquette

3.      Review and approval of minutes of 1-29-08 SCC meeting.

4.    Review and acceptance of minutes from the 2-19-08 EC meeting.

5.      Treasurer’s report from Christopher Reilly: a $1000 donation was
received. 1-31-08 Balance:$2609.99 .

B.   Any proposals/referendums by chapters, committee:

1. The EC proposes that this SCC body: consider accepting Alexander Goldman
of West Hartford, who is a Brandeis college student, as a summer intern for
the GP of CT for college credit.

SMD has interviewed him and offered him the internship as per 1-29-08 SCC
consensus.

Alex indicated: My ambitions for this internship are to use my abilities as
a writer and student of politics to help the Green Party of CT produce
flyers and pamphlets, as well as to participate productively in discussions
concerning upcoming political strategies and actions.  By working directly
under a specific individual within the party, or small set of individuals, I
will be able to compartmentalize my time so that roughly half of my time
will be spent distributing materials, or acting in similar volunteer-style
occupations, while the remaining half of my time will be spent working on
publications or in situations where policy and strategy or open to
discussion, and my voice can be considered.  I know very little about the
nitty-gritty of day-to-day politics, local politics, and third party
politics, and would use this opportunity to learn as much as possible, under
the guidance of the Green Party, the nature of these things.  The internship
will last a month and a half, the beginning and ending dates to be
determined at our meeting.   I would work roughly four days a week, between
5-8 hours a day.  After our meeting we will be able to better understand
exactly what I will be doing, and under whose guidance I will be doing it.
My schedule will be otherwise empty over this summer, and so depending on
what we have worked out, the hours could be flexible.

        I am curious about whether the American political system can succeed
in addressing the issues of environmental concern.  I am interested in
exploring the dynamics of the system in terms of public responsiveness to
growing environmental concerns, and whether or not candidates can run for
local offices in this suburban arena on a political platform highlighting
environmental issues.

        I feel that my greatest asset is the ability to think outside the
box pragmatically and work with others.  I feel that these abilities could
make me a valuable asset over the summer.

Consensus for other job duties for Alex: develop template for literature for
the Congressional candidates; help with the CTGP website, if appropriate;
contact other colleges to enhance or develop

CTGP chapters and contacts; help develop press releases; attend and help
coordinate events for CTGP

Candidates, chapters and CTGP.    CTGP will consider mileage reimbursement
for Alex if appropriate. Rate will be equal to current IRS mileage rate.

SF: to provide CTGP with a job description for an intern with guidelines
from the U.S. Dept. of Labor Job Descriptions.       TMc will send the job
description to Alex.                                              Consensus:
to all the above.

C. Reports:

1.  Internal Elections Committee: consensus: A) this SCC body advises
members and chapters that people are still needed to be internal election
monitors/clerks at the beginning of the 4-26-08 CTGP Annual Meeting;

B)  The site of the 4-26-08 Annual Meeting is yet to be determined. But
consensus is for the New Haven area.

C) any CTGP person who wishes to be a candidate for internal officers and
five (5) GPUS National Committee Representatives must submit they names by
the 3-25-08 SCC meeting for inclusion in the mailing. If any National
Committee vacancy occurs, the SCC will fill it. D) The attendees at the
3-25-08 SCC meeting will vote for whom are to be the internal elections
monitor/clerk. These clerks need to be available for any active work as
people arrive for the 4-26-08 CTGP Annual Meeting. E) Secretary to contact
the 4 announced GPUS Presidential Candidates and invite them to attend and
speak at our 4-26-08 Annual Meeting.     F) Ballots will be for voting for:
internal officers and for the GPUS Presidential Candidate.     G) Consensus:
The Convention Committee of Jerry Martin and Barbara Barry will develop the
agenda, be responsible for tables; if food may be purchased (and proceeds
going to the GP of CT). Other volunteers are welcome to contact either BAB
or JM.

2.   Green Party of CT candidates: what is needed to be done regarding CTGP
petitioning for the GPUS presidential candidate and for all CTGP candidates.
Consensus:  need state voter list or list of CTGP state voter list.  If it
can be purchased for less than $300, then the Treasurer is authorized to
purchase it.

3.   GPUS reports from CTGP representatives: A)  Tim McKee, GPUS rep: the
GPUS Presidential Support Committee has put the names of the known,
legitimate candidates on the GPUS website. B) S. Michael DeRosa:

GPUS Ballot Access Committee:  GPUS gave all the GPUS moneys set aside for
nation-wide ballot access ,to

Arizona which also received $9000 from across the nation to assist in the AZ
petitioning. Deadline is 3-6-08.

The next state which needs to petition for ballot access is Texas. They need
50,000 valid signatures i.e. 800

valid signatures from each county. A Texas voter who voted in a Texas
Primary is not a valid petition signature.

Deadline: in about 2 months. They have $40,000.  C)  Richard Duffee: the
GPUS PAX National Committee will have a workshop at the 7-08 Presidential
Convention.    (Cliff Thornton, Co-chairperson of GPUS, and Charlie
Pillsbury, GPUS Rep and National Committee Member: Amy Vas Nunes, were
absent.)

4.   Political issues the GP of CT has addressed with legislators during the
2008 Legislative Session: Fight

the Hike has presented resolutions to the CT Legislative committees.

5.  CT Green Times: SMD: 400 more copies will be available for the 4-26-08
Annual Meeting.

6.   Consensus: Recruitment of potential candidates for: 1st Congressional
District, state offices, and Register of  Voters  is encouraged.

7.   ACLU lawsuit: SMD: Cliff Thornton and myself have been deposed for this
lawsuit.

8.   Consensus: the By-law Committee is reactivated. Committee members:
S.Michael DeRosa, Barbara Barry and Tim McKee.

9.   Email etiquette: consensus: emails are to show respect for diverse
thoughts and for the person without getting personal. This allows for
freedom of speech and respect for diversity.

10.  Other information about Chapter: deferred due to lack of time.

11.    Next SCC meeting on 3-25-08 to be at Portland Senior Center at 7PM.
Date, place and time of next EC meeting in 3-08: is to be determined.

Green Party Key Values: non-violence, respect for diversity, grassroots
democracy, social justice and equal opportunity, ecological wisdom,
decentralization, community-based economics and economic justice, future
focus and sustainability, personal and global responsibility, feminism and
gender equality.

Checked by AVG.
12:32 PM