{news} Volunteer page on website disabled

Christopher Reilly cpr101 at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 14:06:49 EDT 2008

About a year ago Russian hackers started probing our website (ctgreens.org) via the Volunteer online form.  I took some counter measures back then that seems to have worked.

However, during the past couple of days hackers from Germany discovered a workaround and are once again probing our website using the volunteer form.  As far as I know neither group of hackers has succeeded in using the CT Green Party's website in order to crack into the greens.org website but I thought it best to disable the form.  In the recent past, hackers were able to temporarily destroy all websites (including our own) by getting into server via another state Green Party's online form.

In place of the form I put "This Volunteer Page is undergoing revision and will be unavailable for several weeks."

I would propose that instead of using a form, each chapter list specific volunteer projects that people could under take along with some contact information.

--Chris