{news} Darien Times supports debate inclusion

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:57:40 EDT 2008

Thank you, Darien Times!

http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/index.php?option=com_content&id=9786:editorial-a-third-choice&Itemid=60

Editorial: A third choice

Written by The Darien Times
Friday, September 26, 2008

As the Chris Shays and Jim Himes campaigns continue to iron out an actual
debate schedule for next month, they should open up the forums to third
party candidates - as should debate sponsors.

Independents and third party members have it rough. They aren't part of
either established party, yet combined, they make up a plurality of the
states' voters. But because they aren't established in political
organizations dating back to the 19th century, we, the media, and the voters
tend to ignore the Libertarians and Green Party members of our world.

The state League of Women Voters announced this week that neither third
party candidate in the Fourth Congressional District race here would be
welcome at its debates. How can we ever get another point of view in crucial
elections if we don't let other points of view in? It is, after all, a
debate.

The voters deserve to hear from more than just Republicans and Democrats.
What we need is more independent thoughts in our public discourse, not more
of the same. An added bonus that the independents and third party members
bring to the table is they change a race from simply Red or Blue. And in
turn, that forces the Democrat and Republican politicians to address issues
from a different point of view than the standard company line.

What we need during elections is more choices and more thoughts. We don't
need to reinforce the idea that there can only be two choices for elected
office. That is not what our forefathers fought for.