{news} CT Post: Ferrucci supports single-payer healthcare in debate

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:32:48 EDT 2008

http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_10822753

DeLauro, challengers spar in debate

By FRANK JULIANO
Staff writer
Article Last Updated: 10/27/2008 03:04:04 AM EDT

HAMDEN --The three candidates running for U.S. Congress in the 3rd District
faced each other Sunday morning at Congregation Mishkan Israel, and offered
very different prescriptions for what is ailing the country.

Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-3, and her challengers Republican Boaz ItsHaky and
Green Party candidate Ralph Ferrucci took turns answering questions posed by
the audience at a breakfast in the synagogue's auditorium.

ItsHaky took several pointed jabs at DeLauro's record, which she either
clarified or ignored. At one point Ferrucci acted as a mediator, pointing
out to ItsHaky that DeLauro did oppose the original financial rescue package
proposed by U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, though she voted in favor
of the two versions that reached the House floor.

"She says she opposed it, but she voted for it,'' the Republican said,
exasperated. "This is the kind of spin that gets us into trouble and we have
to stop it. Congress is in the pocket of big business. Rosa has received
$150,000 for her campaign from agribusiness.'' DeLauro replied that no one
has ever questioned her record in standing up to lobbyists. When the bill
supported by pharmaceutical companies that banned reimportation of drugs and
prevented the federal government from negotiating with drug companies for
lower prices was being discussed, "there were 435 representatives and 600
lobbyists in the hall that day,'' the congresswoman said.

"I have personally taken on these special interests, but I do agree that
they have too much influence.''

Ferrucci told the audience that he hasn't had health insurance for 17 years,
because as the owner of a small business he can't afford it. "I worked on
the Connecticut Health Security Act, which was written by a doctor, who was
certainly not trying to take money out of his own pocket,'' the Green Party
candidate said. "It would have covered everyone in Connecticut, but it
didn't pass.''

ItsHaky said a public-private partnership similar to the one that provides
health care to residents of Switzerland would work best here. "A
single-payer system controlled by the government is something that I am
completely opposed to.''

DeLauro said any new administration will have to tackle health care reform
as a priority, but that she'd like to see a system that builds off the
existing one, allowing people who are satisfied with their coverage to keep
it. "We also need to make a serious effort on prevention. Seventy-five
percent of the cost is for treatment of chronic illnesses, many of which are
preventable.''

While ItsHaky recommended allowing new offshore drilling for oil as a
solution to the energy crisis, at least until alternative sources are
commercially viable, both DeLauro and Ferrucci insisted that the sooner
America weans itself off of petroleum, the better.

DeLauro countered that the technologies are available now, "but you need to
have leadership who has the belief in these energy sources.

"Until now the people who have been in the White House have been all about
oil.''

Some of the technology is not even new, Ferrucci said. "Diesel engines 100
years ago were designed to run on peanut oil, whatever a farmer could
produce himself. Those engines were never meant to run on petroleum, and
bio-diesel can be made from old cooking oil. It takes petroleum to make fuel
cells, so how environmentally sound can it be?''

All three agreed that there should be a timetable for recalling U.S. troops
from Iraq.

"I think at this point the only one not calling for a timetable is John
McCain,'' DeLauro said.