{news} Zaac Chaves in the Stamford Times

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:02:19 EDT 2008

http://www.thestamfordtimes.com/story/458417

	ELECTION 2008 -- Zaac Chaves brings passion to the 36th District race

Copy and paste below into your page: (close this pane)

ELECTION 2008 -- Zaac
Chaves brings passion to the 36th District race

	By CHASE WRIGHT

cwright@ thestamfordtimes.com

STAMFORD -- Zaac Chaves may have at one time or another knocked on your
door and asked to pick a few of your lawn's edible mushrooms.

His commitment to self-sustainment is so deep, he hasn't bought food
from a grocery store in over a year. Instead, he forages parks and
woodlands for wild-growing plant foods and medicinals.

"I forage because I believe that healthy food is a right, not a
privilege," said Chaves. "The food I find is not only higher quality
than what I would be buying, but also something I am able to pass off
to people who need it."

As a member of the Green party, Chaves is someone who, as a candidate
for the state senate's 36th District, will give special emphasis to
animals and the environment.

The 27-year-old Greenwich resident has put sustainablility,
environmental clean up, education and a challenge to privilege atop the
list of his priorities if elected.

Chaves would like to see less dependency on the global market and more
use of local family farms, community gardens and open forest land.
He'll target pollution by holding the biggest producing companies
accountable, he said.

Chaves also plans to challenge privilege by first acknowledging the
concrete power structures that are in place, leaving some people at
more of an advantage compared to others. "Inheritance is still the
primary means of getting wealthy in this country," he said. "I would
like to bring about an exception locally."

Chaves' commitment to the community has come in the form of
volunteerism. He offers his time and services to The Woodstock Farm
Animal Sanctuary in the Catskills and the Sun One organic farm in
Bethlehem. Chaves also works to raise public awareness through the
organizations Vegan Outreach and Freegan.info.

He is currently employed as a computer technician in Greenwich.