{news} (hartford cournat)"A Lieberman Politcal Party That Opposes Lieberman"

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 18:08:34 EDT 2008

I would leave the the CFL Party alone to figure out their own strategy.  If
they just want ballot access, certainly they could change their name, or
merge with the Independent Party.  But it looks like they are hoping to
spoil Lieberman's campaign if he runs again. Yes, some voters (there's no
way to know how many) will be misled into voting for the CFL candidate
instead of Lieberman.  In fact, they could really spoil Lieberman if they
found someone with the same or similar name to run against him.  This would
be devious, but legal.

There was a recent case where a candidate (I think it was a Green candidate
but I'm not sure) deliberately ran against a conservative incumbent solely
because they shared the same last name.  The conservative tried to get him
off the ballot, but the state ruled that the challenger had every right to
run, and the two candidates were clearly enough distinguished on the ballot
by their different first names.

I suggested, half in jest but half seriously, that Ralph Ferrucci should run
against the incumbent New Haven Registrar of Voters Sharon Ferrucci.  Is
this unethical?  Perhaps no more so than nominating Sarah Palin for VP in
hopes of winning over Hillary Clinton supporters (they both wear lipstick;
therefore voters will be confused).

David Bedell