{news} New Britain Herald on debate exclusion

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 02:15:07 EDT 2008

http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20140228

09/26/2008

Without third-party candidates, CCSU won't host debate

By BRIAN WOODMAN JR. , Journal Register News Service

The local debate in the race for the 5th Congressional District has lost its
home.

Democratic incumbent Chris Murphy and Republican challenger David Cappiello,
of the state's 24th District, agreed to an Oct. 11 debate sponsored by the
League of Women Voters to be held at Central Connecticut State University in
New Britain.

The exclusion of independent candidate Thomas Winn and Green Party candidate
Harold Burbank has caused the university to back out.

"We've hosted the League of Women Voters' political debates several times,
and we are proud of our association with the League," said Mark McLaughlin,
associate vice president of university marketing and communications. "In
this matter, however, the League is welcome to do what it wants, but CCSU
cannot participate in the event nor serve as the venue if candidates are
excluded."

The university, as a nonprofit organization, was bound by IRS regulations,
he said.

But the league is also bound by rules, said Jara Burnett, president of the
league, and the state board of directors determined Burbank and Winn did not
meet its debate eligibility requirements.

The criteria include whether candidates have a formal campaign with
headquarters and other features, published position papers, broad voter
support and significant campaign contributions. The directors questioned the
candidates' funding levels and whether they demonstrated enough voter
outreach, and Burbank did not submit sufficient documentation regarding
issues relevant to the district, directors said.

"I feel that they did not fulfill our criteria," Burnett said Friday. "This
decision was not taken lightly. It was based on materials the candidates
provided."

While the process was skewed toward candidates from the major parties, the
organization does provide an online voter guide with information on all the
candidates, she said.

Burbank called the league's requirements "simply unconstitutional bias."

The league gets federal funding and expects media coverage of debates,
"which now amount to political advertisement contributions to Democrat and
Republican campaigns only. The U.S. Constitution First Amendment, severely
eroded as it is under President Bush, will not permit such grossly unequal
political speech access to the public airwaves," he said in a statement.

Burbank, who is endorsed by former Green Party presidential candidate Ralph
Nader, said party members may protest league events. He is considering
filing a Federal Communications Commission complaint against the league.

Winn, who has never run for elected office, said he would like to hold an
alternative debate - preferably with Burbank.

Winn criticized Cappiello and Murphy for participating in the league's event
without requesting he and Burbank participate.

"They should ask that there be all or none," he said. "'If all ideas are not
being evenly represented, we shouldn't have them,' they should be saying.
I'm so angry right now."

Murphy would like to see all four candidates participate, said Kenny Curran,
campaign manager for Murphy.

Adam Bauer, a Cappiello spokesman, said the Republican's campaign hadn't
been contacted directly on the matter and is "withholding judgment until
CCSU and the league has reached a decision. We are interested in seeing the
debate go forward."

Burnett said the excluded candidates could resubmit materials. A committee
of board members is meeting this weekend through a conference call to
examine new information submitted by Burbank.

Other 5th District debates are scheduled for Oct. 15 in Waterbury, Oct. 20
in Meriden, Oct. 22 in Litchfield and Oct. 29 in Danbury.

©The Herald 2008