{news} My vote (Re: Changing My Vote from "Abstain" to "Yes")

Amy Vas Nunes amyvasnunes at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:17:16 EDT 2009

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:56:52 -0700
From: sanda at greens.org
To: usgp-int at gp-us.org
Subject: Re: USGP-INT My vote (Re: Changing My Vote from "Abstain" to "Yes")

I have been asked to submit my vote.  I appreciated that my vote was of significant enough value to some, that the request was made.

I have no doubts that Israel's governments treatment of the Palestinian people is totally unacceptable and there can be no call for equal treatment for Palestinian attacks on Israel as the balance of power is so greatly skewed.  I may not be saying this well...others have said it so much better before me.  I appreciated reading of Alan's concern about the proposal, but his deciding to change his vote from abstain to yes as a support for the IC.  I also share some of Richard's concerns and his reasons to change his vote for abstain to yes to support the IC, and as a protest as he is "ashamed at the rancor demonstrated by some Greens."  I am concerned about the rancor demonstrated by some Greens (not just in this situation, but all over the party), the lack of trust, and the lack of a new model of communication that I feel we should be embodying.  However, although I certainly would not call this committee "inactive," and rather have found it to be one of the most active committees in GPUS, and one in which there has generally been civil communication, I still have lots of concerns about the policies and procedures of this committee, do not feel the recent election was properly vetted, have some concern with the committee acting too autonomously in the past, and do not feel the IC should be taking any action until its P&Ps are written and approved.  I do think the IC should have taken the responsibility to do that before it was pushed to do so, and should continue with that procedure until complete.  For that reason, I do not feel I can vote yes, no, or abstain at this time.

I began composing a lengthy email to this committee on some of these issues about a week ago...unfortanately, despite spending hours on it, it did not get past my draft folder.  I will try to find time to get back to it soon, so that I can better share my thinking.  Please don't assume that I am either agreeing.... or disagreeing, with Mike F, or disagreeing...or agreeing, with his strongest detractors on this committee.  Whether good or bad, or both, I do seem to have the ability to look at more than one POV at a time.