{news} As Dodd loses in polls- Time to draft a GREEN candidate for Senate in 2010??

James Lavin james at jameslavin.com
Mon Apr 13 17:44:13 EDT 2009

A month ago, Tim McKee wrote
(http://ml.greens.org/pipermail/ctgp-news/2009-March/003141.html):

Dear Greens,

Dodd is losing to Republicans in the polls. He is tainted with several
scandals and conflicts of interests. Most people can trace the financial
meltdown to his BIG money donations and looking the other way as the
crooks made off with our money.

We have NOTHING to lose by running a candidate for U S Senate- we can't
spoil this race at all! Odds are the republicans will WIN this seat!

Let us begin to discuss the race. I have one BIG TIME candidate in mind
as a draft, and i want to win the race,, let;s begin dicussing this race
on the FORUM list serve.

Tim McKee
(860) 778-1304

----

I could not agree more. Because Connecticut voters deserve/need a better
2010 Senate option than Dodd vs. Simmons, I wondered who the Green Party
is considering running. I visited your website and saw Mr. McKee's
message, but it seems no one has yet replied.

My only foray into politics began in January 2006 when I read about a
guy in Greenwich named Ned Lamont who was thinking about running for the
Senate. People laughed at the idea of a complete unknown taking on Joe
Lieberman, but I sat in Ned's office two months before he announced his
campaign, and I urged him to run, saying he could win. As we met,
Connecticut's powerful Democratic leaders kept calling and urging him
not to run because they all supported Lieberman. I'm proud of the
research and advice I gave Ned as he wrested the Democratic Party
nomination from Lieberman. (I was scarcely involved in the general
election because "professional" political consultants took over Ned's
campaign.)

It's unlikely the Green Party candidate will win the Senate seat, but it
IS a possibility... if the candidate runs an attention-grabbing
grassroots campaign. Dodd's unpopularity and the public's (totally
deserved) disgust with Republicans means voters will seriously consider
a third option. And if the Green candidate grabs enough early attention,
he/she could muscle his/her way into debates and -- at worst --
positively impact the debate and public consciousness and -- possibly --
shock the world by establishing the Green Party as a real alternative as
the Republican Party continues to self-destruct.

I'm sick of corporate media and corporate political control. I'm beyond
mad at our broken economy, our broken government, our broken healthcare
system, our broken educational system, our broken electoral process, our
broken regulatory bodies, and our our failing environment. About the
only things not failing in America today are the prison-industrial
complex, warfare spending, and incomprehensibly large taxpayer bailouts
of failed megabanks... the same megabanks that blew up our economy and
bought our politicians with campaign contributions. I've been mad for
decades. In recent years, I've laughed my pain away with "The Daily
Show" and "The Colbert Report," but the Obama Administration's
continuation of the Bush Administration's pro-war, pro-big business,
anti-privacy, and anti-Constitution policies proves our major parties
are hopelessly addicted to green... money, that is, not the party.

Someone needs to act before we leave our children a country and a planet
broken beyond repair. I doubt I'm the person for this challenge, but I
sure hope someone waves the Green Party banner in 2010 and takes the
fight to Dodd and Simmons on behalf of working people,
small-enough-to-fail businesses, and future generations.

Cheers,

James Lavin