{news} Community Program: The Drug War - Is Anyone Winning?

Clifford Thornton efficacy at msn.com
Mon Apr 27 14:20:51 EDT 2009

This group received a grant from the state legislature to put this on
in support of the decrim bill.  We have come a long way and you realize this when our so called adversaries
are doing our work through a theatrical organization. There is still a long way to go
but the dynamics are changing in our favor--Change one institution at a time.
This group interviewed me over the course of two days.

      The Drug War:
      Is Anyone Winning?
      The Impact of Drug Policies on Communities

      A Theatrical Conversation Presented by
      HartBeat Ensemble

      HartBeat Ensemble has spent months working with Dr. Bob Painter, researcher from the Institute for the Study of Criminal Justice and former Hartford City Councilman, as well as interviewing ex-offenders, ex-addicts, health workers, law enforcement, drug counselors, and policy makers.  Join HartBeat as they present their findings through theatrical scenes which they have created based on these interviews.

      HartBeat will dialogue with the audience through discussion and re-staging the scenes using audience input.  This form of interactive theater, based on Augusto Boal's Theater of the Oppressed, helps communities discuss difficult topics, listen to voices that often go unheard in our society and visualize change that will help elected officials craft better legislation.

      Thursday, May 7, 2009
      Light Refreshments at 5:30pm
      Program Begins at 6:00pm
      Hartford Public Library
      500 Main Street

      This program is a collaboration among HartBeat Ensemble, Sojourn Theatre, and the Institute for Municipal & Regional Policy (IMRP)

      Hosted by Hartford Public Library

      Visit www.hartfordinfo.org<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1025478199&msgid=31016479&act=KAH6&c=81475&admin=0&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hartfordinfo.org> - your gateway to information and data on issues of importance to those who live and work in Hartford and the region.