{news} CT's highest-paid employees

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 01:23:21 EST 2009

Good question, Ken.

David Bedell

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/x1658752417/UConn-Mens-Basketball-Calhoun-gets-into-heated-spat-over-salary

UConn Men's Basketball: Calhoun gets into heated spat over salary

By PAT EATON-ROBB
The Associated Press
Posted Feb 22, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

HARTFORD - UConn men's basketball coach Jim Calhoun got into a heated
exchange at a post-game news conference Saturday with a freelance journalist
and political activist who questioned why the coach of a public university
was making $1.6 million in tough economic times.

"Not a dime back," Calhoun joked as Ken Krayeske asked about Calhoun's
salary and the state's budget deficit, which is estimated at $944 million
for the current fiscal year and up to $8 billion over the next two years.

When Krayeske continued the line of questioning, Calhoun got angry.

"My best advice to you is, shut up," said Calhoun, who offered to talk to
Krayeske after the news conference, in which Calhoun was discussing the
top-ranked Huskies' 64-50 win over South Florida.

"If these guys covered this stuff, I wouldn't have to do it," said Krayeske,
who had been granted a photo pass to attend the news conference.

Now visibly angry, Calhoun responded.

"Quite frankly, we bring in $12 million to the university, nothing to do
with state funds," Calhoun shouted back. "We make $12 million a year for
this university. Get some facts and come back and see me ... Don't throw out
salaries and other things.

"Get some facts and come back and see me. We turn over $12 million to the
University of Connecticut, which is state-run. Next question."

Krayeske, 36, of Hartford is a political activist and self-described
freelance journalist who has landed in the headlines after other
high-profile incidents in the past.

They included his January 2007 arrest at Gov. M. Jodi Rell's inaugural
parade, where Hartford police charged Krayeske with breach of peace and
interfering with an officer.

Police said Krayeske dropped his bike and stepped into the parade route, a
security breach they considered a potential attempt to disrupt the event. He
later said he was attempting to photograph the governor for his Web site.

The charges were later dismissed.

Krayeske also was the campaign manager for Connecticut Green Party candidate
Cliff Thornton's 2006 gubernatorial run.

Calhoun, who has two national titles, is set to make $1.6 million in
2009-10, the final year of his contract. Women's basketball coach Geno
Auriemma, who has brought five national championships to Storrs, recently
signed a five-year, $8 million deal that begins July 1.

UConn football coach Randy Edsall signed a five-year deal a year ago that
pays him an average of $1.5 million annually.

The three coaches are among the state's highest paid employees.

Copyright © 2009 GateHouse Media, Inc. Some Rights Reserved.