{news} Proposed agenda for the 7PM 1-27-09 SCC CTGP meeting at Portland Senior Center

Richard Duffee richard.duffee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:03:21 EST 2009

Tim,
Please post this appropriately or tell me what to do so that my posting
doesn't disappear or bouncew back to me. Also, could you please change the
format?: to read each line I have to move the bar at the bottom of the
screen quite far beore I get to the next line. This makes for extremely slow
reading.
Thanks,
Richard

USGP-INT report for January, 2009

Between January 1 and January 27, 2009, the International Committee's
business has been conducted in a series of 240 email exchanges on its
listserve. Most of the activity on the site is the circulation of articles
available from other sources, (albeit sources hard to find in the morass of
US media garbage), and discussions of the veracity, bias, and significance
of various sources and statements. In this brief report I'm trying to give a
representative sampling of the activity. If you want specific emails or more
exact summaries of particular areas, please ask me.

Most active members: Julia Willebrand, Scott McLarty, Aimee Smith, Antony
Gronowicz, Tony Affigne, D Alexander Murville, and Romi Elnagar pretty
reliably post interesting articles, mostly on US relations with the Middle
East. Justine McCabe sends in interesting news from European contacts,
primarily about the Middle East. Vivek Ananthan delivers the best reporting
on Sri Lanka as well as much on Israel, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Israel & Palestine: On Jan 1, Prof. Francis Boyle has asked us to support
the Palestinian invocation of the Uniting for Peace Resolution at the UN.
The Palestinian resolution cites breaches of the 4th Geneva Convention. I
believe we should demand UN intervention. In the next week a dozen emails
essentially supported this position, supplying historical background from
such places as Global Research and raising various related issues, such as
Obama's position and Democratic positions. First Bill Thomson argued there
is a concerted effort to get Congress to vote supporting Israel in the first
days of the Administration, then several supporting articles followed.
Thomson asked us to call our Reps. US troops are helping Egypt prevent arms
smuggling into Gaza. There are requests to write letters to editors and
exhortations to march and demonstrate. As Israeli attacks on Gaza escalated,
the email discussion increased, so by the second week of January, Gaza was
the primary issue. Justine McCabe forwarded an op-ed article of hers, "The
Myth of Balance in the Conflict in Gaza."

EU: In Europe the German government has been uniquely supportive of Israel
and uniquely critical of Hamas and Hizbollah. The German Greens have sided
with the German government. French Greens have a resolution opposing the
EU's economic offers to Israel as these facilitate the oppression of
Palestinians. Justine McCabe passes on efforts to get a general Green
boycott and divestment movement in Europe: Greens in the UK, Ireland,
Sweden, and France favor this.

McKinney: There have been reports (from daily to every 4 days) from and
about McKinney, particularly her effort to bring aid to Gaza.

The upcoming Feb 1 International Committee election for co-chairs: Justine
McCabe and Steve Herrick have been nominated and have accepted the
nomination. Tony Gronowicz was nominated but declined and asked for the
election of Justine and Steve by acclimation. Marnie (?) and Derek Grigsby
have also been nominated.

The majority of emails are informational and have not themselves resulted in
International Committee decisions or official resolutions. Most inform
members of the committee of developing international situations that it may
be good for the Committee to act on. I'll give a small sample:

Hawaii: There is a report on the "ceded lands" issue in Hawaii: the Green
Party is organizing to get the government of Hawaii to recognize that
Clinton's 1993 Apology Act acknowledges that the 29% of the Hawaiian land
mass that was never legally surrendered to the government by the native
population in 1994. The Supreme Court of Hawaii has ruled in favor of Native
Hawaiians but the Lingle Administration has appealed to the US Supreme
Court. Hawaiian Greens want the state to drop the appeal.

EU: The European Green Party agreed to change the date of its meeting to the
end of March to avoid conflict with Obama's trip to Europe in the beginning
of April.

Inauguration: There was information and advice about attending the
inauguration,

Mexico: The Mexican Green Party favors the death penalty.

Sri Lanka: We need to write up an official position on Sri Lanka and get it
passed. I am obligated to do this with Vivek Ananthan.

India: A Green Party is forming there: see Jan 9 Feinstein email.

Puerto Rico: I am obligated to work on a position statement on Puerto Rican
independence with Hector Lopez.

Please contact me if you want more information.

Richard Duffee