{news} Fw: Upcoming Social Justice Events in Connecticut

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 1 12:17:45 EST 2009

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:54 PM
Subject: Upcoming Social Justice Events in Connecticut

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  February 24 2009

                                 .    March 1: THE COST OF THE IRAQ WAR TO GI'S, VETERANS and the U.S. TAXPAYER
                                  .    March 5: Voices of Healing March for Universal Health Care

                                 .    March 2: Turn out need for public hearing on the death penalty in Connecticut
                                  .    March 27-29: New Strategies for the Obama Era - Are You Ready?

                                 .    March 6: March in Hartford to Protect Our Homes and Families
                                  .    Save the date: April 18 Sister Helen Prejean speaking on faith based organizing for abolition

                                March 1: THE COST OF THE IRAQ WAR TO GI'S, VETERANS and the U.S. TAXPAYER

                                THE COST OF THE IRAQ WAR TO GI'S, VETERANS and the AMERICAN TAXPAYER

                                Hear disabled veterans, Iraq Veterans Against the War and an analysis of the situation on the ground in Iraq. Has Obama formed a new vision of our presence there? Learn the cost of the war and how it is affecting the troops and our veterans and the national budget.

                                Short FILM: WINTER SOLDIER: Iraq & Afghanistan: A Primer

                                Speakers: CEDRIC CANNON - Army Veteran; PAM TAYLOR - Army Medic, Veteran Gulf War ;JEFF BARTOS - Secr.- Conn. Chapter Iraq Veterans Against the War; MEG SCATA - Program Clerk, American Friends Service Committee, New England United Against the War in Iraq

                                All Welcome. Join us in a panel presentation and discussion

                                Sunday, March 1st, 2009, 1:30 pm Guilford Free Library Meeting Room 67 Park Street, Guilford

                                For more information contact Lida Lantz at LindaLancz at aol.com

                                March 2: Turn out need for public hearing on the death penalty in Connecticut

                                Friends,
                                This email comes from the Connecticut Network to Abolish the Death Penalty. AFSC-CT is a founding member and we urge you to attend Monday's public hearing. This is an important step in the quest to abolish the death penalty here in Connecticut.

                                The judiciary committee will revisit the death penalty by having a public hearing on the issue. Please come to the Legislative Office Building in Hartford for the hearing, and send a clear message to legislators that the death penalty is a poor public policy that fails the people of Connecticut. This hearing is a crucial tool for educating legislators about the death penalty and for building momentum for the abolition movement in the state.

                                WHERE: Legislative Office Building, 300 Capitol Ave., Room 1D, Hartford.

                                WHEN: Monday, March 2, starting at 10 AM. The first hour will be dedicated to testimony by government officials and legislators. Then starting around 11 AM, members of the public will have an opportunity to speak. The hearing will be long, so even if you cannot make it until the afternoon, it should still be going on.

                                BILLS DEBATED: The bill at the hearing will propose abolishing the death penalty and replacing it with life without possibility of release. Currently, there are four abolition bills in the judiciary committee (these will be posted on the CNADP's website, www.cnadp.org). We do not know yet the specific abolition bill that will be debated at the hearing, but will pass along that information once we know. Also, in addition to an abolition bill, there will be other bills, unrelated to the death penalty, debated at the March 2 hearing.

                                PROCEDURE FOR GIVING TESTIMONY: Beginning at 9 AM, individuals who plan on testifying will be able to draw a number, which will determine the order in which they speak. Testimony will be timed and strictly limited to three minutes. For more information on testifying, please visit the following link: http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/Content/YourVoice.asp.

                                The CNADP's message at the hearing, as always, will be that the death penalty is a poor public policy that fails the people of Connecticut. The points we want to emphasize are:

                                - The death penalty keeps alive the very real risk of executing an innocent individual.
                                - The death penalty fails to help those impacted by violence, but only draws out the legal process and puts families through added, unnecessary pain.
                                - The death penalty is capricious, arbitrary, and discriminatory.
                                - The death penalty wastes valuable resources that could go toward preventing violence and meeting the needs of those affected by it.

                                We appreciate the help of many of you already in getting the word out about this hearing. Keep sending this information on to friends and other panelists, so that we can fill the committee room with our supporters.

                                Finally, if you are a Stamford or Brookfield resident able to provide a ride to a fellow CNADP member to and from the hearing, please contact ben.jones at cnadp.org. For more information contact Ben Jones
                                614-390-8417

                                http://cnadp.org

                                March 6: March in Hartford to Protect Our Homes and Families

                                MARCH TO PROTECT OUR HOMES AND FAMILIES!

                                Join your neighbors from communities across Connecticut.

                                WE DEMAND:
                                . An immediate moratorium on all foreclosures and evictions.
                                . An end to the system that bails out bankers and corporations while working people suffer.

                                Friday, March 6, Hartford, CT, 4:00 PM

                                . Assemble: At the Carousel in Bushnell Park
                                (Near the Memorial Arch at Ford and Trinity Streets)

                                . March: Announce Working-People's demands to Webster Bank and the Bank of America.

                                . Rally: Demonstrate our SOLIDARITY at the Bank of America.

                                People's Bailout Connecticut: www.peoplesbailoutct.wordpress.com

                                March 5: Voices of Healing March for Universal Health Care

                                The Interfaith Fellowship for Universal Health Care invites you to join us to launch

                                "Voices of Healing"

                                Meet on Thursday, March 5 at 11:30a.m. at the Muhammad Islamic Center, 155 Hungerford Street Hungerford Street begins across the street from the Legislative Office Building

                                At Noon we will proceed together to the State Capitol Bring banners from your place of worship

                                At 12:30 p.m. we will meet in the Old Appropriations Room on the 3rd Floor of the Capitol for a brief press conference. We will then visit Governor Rell to share our Voices of Healing.

                                "Voices of Healing" is a collection of personal reflections from Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Unitarian leaders of Connecticut who participate in the Interfaith Fellowship for Universal Health Care. The collection captures the diversity and solidarity of people of faith about the moral imperative to make health care accessible to everyone.

                                The Interfaith Fellowship for Universal Health Care is a multiracial and multicultural group of religious leaders of diverse faith traditions from throughout Connecticut who have come together to fight for quality, affordable health care for everyone.

                                For more information contact: Renae Reese Connecticut Center for a New Economy 860 547 1979; Cell: 860 280 7320 renae at ctneweconomy.org
                                http://www.ctneweconomy.org/

                                March 27-29: New Strategies for the Obama Era - Are You Ready?

                                You are invited to join the New Strategies for the Obama Era - Are You Ready? Conference at Tufts University March 27 and 28, with a youth caucus on the 29th.

                                It will be an exciting, and what we think will be a truly remarkable, gathering of New England peace, justice and environmental activists and organizers.. It is being organized by the American Friends Service Committee, Tufts University's Peace and Justice Studies Program, and a host of co-sponsoring and partner organizations.

                                While we feel a sense of relief and achievement with Barack Obama's election and fledgling presidency, we also know with the economic crisis, the escalating war in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the ongoing war in Iraq and growing military budget, as well as the continuing dangers of global warming, there is a lot that our popular movements must do if we are to have the change we need.

                                As you can see from our list of speakers and resource people below, we have assembled an extraordinary range of people to work with us in providing essential background information and charting strategies for peace, economic recovery and justice, and creation of a sustainable environment.

                                A partial listing includes Bill Fletcher, Jr. and Noam Chomsky, Emily Kawano ,Arjun Makhajani, Zia Mian, Anna Galland and Tom Hayden. And that is just the beginning.

                                It is also worth noting that this will be an inter-generational conference, bringing together students and young activists as well as those with years of experience.

                                Detailed information about the conference, including the agenda and a registration form, can be found at http://www.afsc.org/newstrategies2009.

                                For more information contact Genevie Gold at ggold at afsc.org or 617-661-6130 Ext 137

                                One last note: We are expecting a full house, and have over flow rooms booked for Friday night. So, please, register early. The first 250 people to register will get into the main hall for Noam Chomsky and Bill Fletcher. Those who register later will have the pleasure of seeing them on video in the next room. We do, however, expect to accommodate everyone in our (different) main hall on Saturday the 28th.Join us if you can. We have a lot to do!

                                Plenary speakers include:

                                ­Phyllis Bennis*, Noam Chomsky, Bill Fletcher Jr., Anna Galland, Tom Hayden, Raed Jarrar, Emily Kawano, Arjun Makhijani, Zia Mian, Bill Moomaw, Zia Mian,

                                Workshop speakers & resource people include:
                                Omar Baddar, Phyllis Bennis*, Tim Carpenter, Ruben Chandrasekar ,Jo Comerford, Sam Diener, Robert Dove, Shelagh Forman, Alex Fried, Lawrence Friedman, Anna Galland, Joseph Gerson, Jenneatte Huezo ,Raed Jarrar, James Jennings, Paul Joseph, Emily Kawano , Darlene Lambos, Nancy Lessin, Arjun Makhijani, Zia Mian, Patty Montes, Suren Moodliar, Bill Moomaw, Becky Pierce, Erin Placey, Mike Prokosh, Christian Ramirez ,Paul Shannon, Khalila Smalls,Mark Solomon, Greg Speeter ,Eduardo Suarez, Camilo Viveiros, Daryl Wright, Martha Yager, and represenatives of City Life,/Vida Urbana, Jobs with Justice, IVAW & MFSO

                                http://www.afsc.org/newstrategies2009.

                                Save the date: April 18 Sister Helen Prejean speaking on faith based organizing for abolition

                                SAVE THE DATE: SATURDAY, APRIL 18, 2009, 9 a.m. until 2 p.m.

                                The Connecticut Network to Abolish the Death Penalty (CNADP) presents it's first Religious Organizing Program on the Death Penalty

                                Keynote Speaker - Sister Helen Prejean,
                                Author of "Dead Man Walking," and "The Death of Innocents."

                                Where: St. Joseph College, West Hartford

                                Learn how the religious community in Connecticut can organize and work to abolish the death penalty. Grassroots organizing is the key to abolition, and your faith community can play an important part of this process.

                                The goal of this program is to provide you with the tools you need to inform and mobilize your community so that you can support the work of the CNADP to educate and lobby at the Capitol.

                                Our Keynote Speaker, Nobel Peace Prize nominee, Sister Helen Prejean, will talk about her own experiences working to end the death penalty and will share with you her own strategies for reaching out to people of faith.

                                Following her talk, there will be a series of workshops organized by faith community to provide specific information and allow further discussion of the death penalty in Connecticut and what grassroots organizing looks like and what it can accomplish.

                                Lunch will be provided and admission is free. Informational and organizing materials will be distributed to each participant.

                                To insure that we have sufficient space and materials, please RSVP by April 1, 2009.

                                For more information contact Ben Jones at ben.jones at cnadp.org or 614-390-8417
                                http://www.cnadp.org

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward