{news} Fw: Upcoming Actions for Peace and Social Justice in Connecticut

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 21 20:02:28 EDT 2009

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 4:13 PM
Subject: Upcoming Actions for Peace and Social Justice in Connecticut

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  March 20 2009

                                 .    March 27-29: "New Strategies for the Obama Era: Are You Ready?"
                                  .    April 18: Sister Helen Prejean on Religious Organizing Program and the Death Penalty

                                 .    April 4: Take a Bus or Train to Beyond War, a New Economy is Possible

                                 .    April 16:From Bracero to Guest-Worker? A public forum on the struggle for immigrant rights.

                                March 27-29: "New Strategies for the Obama Era: Are You Ready?"

                                "New Strategies for the Obama Era: Are You Ready?"

                                A New England Wide Conference that brings together Young People with Older Activists concerned about Peace, the Climate Crisis, the Economic Crisis and Social Justice

                                March 27-28 @ Tufts University

                                Featured Speakers Include: Noam Chomsky, Bill Fletcher Jr., Phyllis Bennis, Emily Kawano, Arjun Makhijani, Raed Jarrar, Anna Galland, William Moomaw and Tom Hayden

                                You are invited to an exciting, and what we think will be a truly remarkable, New England-wide peace, social justice and environmental sustainability conference. It is being organized by the American Friends Service Committee and Tufts University's Peace and Justice Studies Program, and is co-sponsored by Mass. Global Action, United for a Fair Economy, City Life/Vida Urbana, Teen Empowerment, United for Justice with Peace, Mass. Jobs with Justice, The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, Womens International League for Peace and Freedom and Mass. Peace Action. It will be held at Tufts University, Friday March 27 and Saturday the 28th, with a youth caucus continuing into Sunday the 29th.

                                Please note: For the Bill Fletcher and Noam Chomsky plenary session on Friday evening at 6pm, the first 250 people to register will get into the main hall with Bill and Noam. Those who register later will have the pleasure of seeing them on video in the next room. On Saturday we have a bigger hall so we will all be together with the speakers.

                                While we feel a sense of relief and achievement with Barack Obama's election and fledgling presidency, we also know with the economic crisis, the escalating war in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the ongoing war in Iraq and growing military budget, as well as the rapidly increasing dangers of global warming, there is a lot that our popular movements must do if we are to have the change we need.

                                As you can see from our list of speakers and resource people, we have assembled an extraordinary range of people to work with us in providing essential background information and charting strategies for peace, economic recovery and justice, and creation of a sustainable environment. Friday evening discussion sessions and a wide range of Saturday focused workshops (see below) will complement in depth plenary sessions Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon.

                                It is also worth noting that this will be an inter-generational conference, bringing together students and young activists as well as those with years of experience.

                                Detailed information about the conference, including a registration form, can be found at http://www.afsc.org/newstrategies2009

                                Workshop speakers & resource people include:

                                The Majority Agenda: From Concept to Action- Mark Solomon, Suren Moodliar and Paul Shannon

                                Building a Youth and Student Movement for the Obama Years -Anna Galland

                                Counter Recruiting- Sam Diener, Robert Dove & Alex Fried

                                Economic Crisis 101: Background for Understanding the Causes, Consequences and opportunities of the U.S. and Global Economic Crisis- Emily Kawano

                                Foreign & Domestic Policies for Real Security: Alternatives to the "War on Terror" and 21st Century Imperialism-Joseph Gerson & Zia Mian

                                Funding the New New Deal: From the Pentagon Budget to the People's Budget-Greg Speeter and Jo Comerford

                                Introduction to the Peace Movement 101: History, Overview, and Effectiveness- Paul Joseph

                                Introduction to the Environmental Movement 101: History and Overview-Dale Bryan

                                Labor's Agenda for the Obama Years-Russ Davis

                                No Nukes: The Dangers of Nuclear Power Plans, Alternatives and Popular Movements-Erin Placey, Others TBA

                                Is It Plausible to Reclaim Our Communities Within the Framework of a Green Economy?-Eduardo Suarez, Darlene Lambos, Kalila Barnett, Jon Weissman

                                Bridging the Gaps: Models for Inter-Racial, Multi-Class Organizing for Justice and Peace-Mike Prokosch Daryl Wright, Becky Pierce

                                For a Non-Nuclear, Non-CO2 Future- Arjun Makhijani

                                G.I. Organizing and Resistance-IVAW & MFSO

                                Israel, Palestine & the Arab World - Background, Alternatives and Advocacy-Phyllis Bennis, Martha Yager & Omar Baddar

                                Is a Humane & Just Immigration Reform Possible During the Economic Crisis? Immigrant Organizers Speak Out. Panel & Discussion-Patty Montes, Jenneatte Huezo, Gabriel Camacho

                                Influencing Beltway Politicians & the Democratic Party-Tim Carpenter, Shelagh Foreman

                                Fighting Foreclosures: Keeping families in their home-James Brooks, Melanie Griffiths

                                Lessons for Today from the New Deal-Larry Friedman

                                New Technologies for Peace & Justice Organizing-Anna Galland and Suren Moodliar

                                Obama and the Bomb: 21st Century Nuclear Weapons Dangers and the Promise of Abolition-Joseph Gerson

                                From Activism to Organizing: How to Build Youth Power-
                                Camilo Viveiros

                                Understanding and Resisting the Continuing Iraq War-Raed Jarrar, Nancy Lessin and Paul Shannon

                                http://www.afsc.org/newstrategies2009

                                April 4: Take a Bus or Train to Beyond War, a New Economy is Possible

                                "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social
                                uplift is approaching spiritual death." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. April 4, 1967

                                Yes We Can! End War! National Mobilization to End War and Build a New Economy.

                                Sponsored by United for Peace and Justice, The American Friends Service Committee and Connecticut Opposes the War

                                Saturday, April 4
                                New York City
                                Assemble in NYC at 11:00 AM
                                Assembly Location: Leonard, Franklin and White Streets, between Broadway and Lafayette St.

                                Information on Hartford area bus to NYC
                                Bus leaves at 8:00am from Conard High School
                                110 Beachwood Rd
                                West Hartford, CT

                                Tickets for union members and their families are $10/person

                                Tickets for community members are $30/person

                                Tickets may be purchased on-line at www.stepfour.com/peacebus

                                Or by sending a check and a note for how many tickets to:
                                Flo Woodiel
                                65 Linbrook Road
                                West Hartford, Ct. 06107
                                Please make check payable to "Connecticut Opposes the War"

                                For more information contact:
                                David Amdur
                                American Friends Service Committee
                                connecticut at afsc.org
                                860.523.1534

                                Peace Train Information
                                New Haven to NYC: 8:55 am
                                NYC to New Haven: 5:07 pm
                                RT Adult: $25
                                RT 18 or under: $12
                                Paid before April 1
                                Limited scholarships avail.
                                Online: www.stepfour.com/peacetrain
                                or check to Greater New Haven Peace Council
                                PO Box 3105 . New Haven,
                                CT 06515-0205
                                info: Henry Lowendorf
                                grnhpeacecouncil at gmail.com
                                203.389.9547

                                Beyond War, A New Economy Is Possible for Connecticut and the Nation: Yes We Can!

                                From Iraq, to Afghanistan, to Gaza, to our own cities We need peace to repair the damage done by the collapse of the financial industry. We need to reverse massive layoffs, wage cuts, missing healthcare, evictions and home foreclosures, fallen retirement funds, and unaffordable college tuition.

                                What could our families, our cities, our country do with these GREENBACKS...?

                                $2 Billion per day and more spent to prop up the military industrial complex

                                $664 Billion per year for Cold War weapons and bases, equal to the rest of the world combined

                                $864 Billion since 9/11 on Iraq & Afghanistan alone, more than the economic recovery package

                                Yes We Can Stop Spending $2-4 Trillion on another 3 years of occupation of Iraq & indefinite occupation of Afghanistan.

                                Yes We Have funds to address people's needs. They're in the $1 Trillion annual military budget.

                                March April 4th to end the wars, cut the military budget and fund people's needs.

                                We are reminded of Dr. Martin Luther King's courage and wisdom in connecting the issues of poverty, racism and war. In honor of his legacy, United For Peace and Justice has launched the BEYOND WAR, A NEW ECONOMY IS POSSIBLE: YES WE CAN! Campaign that will culminate its first phase on April 4th with a massive mobilization in New York City. April 4th is the anniversary of Dr. King's "Beyond Vietnam" speech in 1967 and, sadly, the anniversary of his death one year later. Our urgent call to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be linked to our call to help solve the current economic crisis by dramatically cutting military spending and, instead, investing in our communities

                                Our campaign is a call for a new set of national priorities rooted in the vision and values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - a world without racism, poverty, or war, working across race, class, and gender lines to build a massive people's movement to help make sure the Obama administration and the U.S. Congress are in alignment with the will of the people.

                                www.ctcow.org
                                www.unitedforpeace.org/

                                www.unitedforpeace.org

                                April 16:From Bracero to Guest-Worker? A public forum on the struggle for immigrant rights.

                                From Bracero to Guest-Worker? A public forum on the struggle for immigrant rights.

                                Thursday, April 16
                                7 PM
                                McCook Auditorium
                                Trinity College, Hartford CT

                                Felipe Muñoz Pavón was one of 4.6 million Mexican laborers imported to the U.S. in the Bracero Program from 1941-64. Felipe worked as a bracero in 1944, 1945 and 1963 and is co-founder of the National Assembly of Ex-Braceros. He will speak about the relevance of the Bracero program to the current immigration debate.  He lives in Tlaxcala, Mexico.

                                Jorge Mujica is a principal organizer of the national immigrant rights movement and spokesman for the March 10th Coalition of Chicago, which drew more than 1 million people into the streets on May 1, 2006 marching to defeat a punitive immigration bill in Congress. A former journalist and union organizer, Mujica has worked for La Raza, Univision, and Telemundo.

                                Sponsored by Stop the Raids of Trinity College, American Friends Service Cmte, Hispanic Studies Dept, Office of Multicultural Affairs, International Studies Dept, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at UConn, Trinity Center for Urban and Global Studies, American Studies Dept, Trinfo Café, La Voz Latina, Asian American Student Association.

                                For information:
                                Sandra.Gonzalez at trincoll.edu or860-538-3920.

                                April 18: Sister Helen Prejean on Religious Organizing Program and the Death Penalty

                                Religious Organizing Program on the Death Penalty

                                Keynote Speaker - Sister Helen Prejean,
                                Author of "Dead Man Walking," and "The Death of Innocents."

                                Where: St. Joseph College, West Hartford

                                Learn how the religious community in Connecticut can organize and work to abolish the death penalty. Grassroots organizing is the key to abolition, and your faith community can play an important part of this process.

                                The goal of this program is to provide you with the tools you need to inform and mobilize your community so that you can support the work of the CNADP to educate and lobby at the Capitol.

                                Our Keynote Speaker, Nobel Peace Prize nominee, Sister Helen Prejean, will talk about her own experiences working to end the death penalty and will share with you her own strategies for reaching out to people of faith.

                                Following her talk, there will be a series of workshops organized by faith community to provide specific information and allow further discussion of the death penalty in Connecticut and what grassroots organizing looks like and what it can accomplish.

                                Lunch will be provided and admission is free. Informational and organizing materials will be distributed to each participant.

                                To insure that we have sufficient space and materials, please RSVP by April 1, 2009.

                                For more information, please contact:
                                Robert Nave - robertnave at cnadp.org or call him at 203.206.9854.

                                www.cnadp.org

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward