{news} FW: USGP-INT Reminder: Discussion period ENDS tonight on IC Proposal: Draft Statement on Gaza/I-P Conflict

Amy Vas Nunes amyvasnunes at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:23:13 EDT 2009

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:23:40 -0500
From: jdt at itol.com
To: usgp-int at gp-us.org
Subject: Re: USGP-INT Reminder: Discussion period ENDS tonight on IC Proposal: Draft Statement on Gaza/I-P Conflict

Hi Michael,

An SC subcommittee and staff are working on just such a uniform format and procedure for position papers.  We have had several meetings upon it already.  We even used statements that have come out of the IC to help us figure stuff out, but we have a ways to go yet.  On our last call we decided that we need a proposal to put before the NC asking delegates what they think the threshold should be, and giving them several choices.  We haven't written the proposal yet - it is just in discussion phase, but we do want the decision to be that of the NC for threshold - there are varying opinions about what it should be, and it should bring forth a great discussion.

There were two proposals that Mike Feinstein wanted to go before the NC about the IC - they were a sort of coordinated effort.

 Mike did write up some P&P's, and the put a proposal before BRPP that they vote to put them before the NC, after holding a hearing to which we were all invited, but just 2 of us participated - Mike and Amy Van Nunes.  I don't know what the vote of the BRPP committee was - whether they voted to put it before the NC or not, or whether the vote was scheduled to happen after the SC statement, and then was dropped.  The SC has made a statement that BRPP cannot write P&P's "for" a committee, so we are all good with that.

The California proposal was written by Mike Feinstein, and put before CA to vote upon and CA passed it.  An individual cannot submit a proposal before the NC - he/she must get a sponsor for it.  It will come up for discussion this next Monday.  I will pass it on when it is time for it to go to the NC for discussion.  I hope that all members of the IC who are on the national committee will participate in that discussion, as it should be quite lively!  We will want more than one view represented in that discussion, and your diverse views will be welcomed.

I hear you about the emails!

Jill Bussiere, co-chair, GPUS