{news} Fwd: May 2009 Greenline

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at gmail.com
Sat May 16 19:36:59 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Green Party of the United States <office at gp.org>
Date: Sat, May 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM

      *May 2009
*
         Greens Come Together for the 2009 Annual National Meeting in Durham,
North Carolina

The Green Party of the United States is pleased to announce that the 2009
Annual National
Meeting<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F175%2Ft%2F460%2Fevent%2FcheckOut.jsp%3Fevent_KEY%3D13147>will
be held Thursday, July 23-Sunday July 26, 2009 on the campus of North
Carolina Central University in Durham, NC. Plan to attend this year's
largest national gathering of Greens to make new friends, network, and help
grow the Green Party nationally and in your community.  Join with other
greens across the country as we prepare for the 2010 election cycle with
workshops on candidate recruitment, ballot access, fundraising, media
outreach, and other skills you can take back to your local party.

Registration is open now!  Discounted earlybird registration is available
for only a few more days...register now to save money and start making your
travel plans early.  Registration and other information is available
at the 2009
Annual National Meeting
wepage<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=2&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F175%2Ft%2F460%2Fevent%2FcheckOut.jsp%3Fevent_KEY%3D13147>
.
Record Number of Greens Running in '09

Green Parties across the U.S. are running a record number of
candidates<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gp.org%2Felections%2Fcandidates%2Findex.php>in
local and state elections.  Fewer elections are scheduled in
odd-numbered
years, but that hasn't stopped over 100 Greens from running for office in
2009 elections.  In 2005, 69 candidates had declared their run by the middle
of May.  In 2007, that number was 74.  So far in 2009, 119 candidates have
declared their runs.  That's 119 people (and their volunteers) asking for
votes, asking for financial support, and letting their communities know that
the Green Party is ready to step up and lead.

It's not too late to declare your candidacy!  Call or visit your town's
website to see if school board, city council, county board, or soil, water,
air, or utility board elections are scheduled for this year.  Find out how
to file a candidacy, get local Greens involved, and let your state and
national Green Party know you are running!  It's also not to early to start
planning a run for 2010.

If you can't run this year, help out a candidate who is.  To find out if any
candidates are running near you, check our comprehensive online elections
database<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gp.org%2Felections%2Fcandidates%2Findex.php>.
Remember to get out and vote Green in 2009!
Green Pages Now Available On-Line

Green Pages, the national newspaper of the Green Party of the United States,
is available exclusively on-line
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgp.org%2Fgreenpages-blog%2F>in
2009.  By going paperless for this year we can maximize your donations to
the Green Party of the United States, save trees, and offer dynamic content
like embedded videos<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgp.org%2Fgreenpages-blog%2F%3Fp%3D1006>,
constantly updated content, and user comments and polls.

If you want to take copies with you for festivals, parades and other
outreach events, you can download and print a PDF
version.<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgp.org%2Fgreenpages-blog%2Fpdf%2F2009-01.pdf>
But make sure to bookmark Green Pages online at
http://gp.org/greenpages-blog/.<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgp.org%2Fgreenpages-blog%2F>
Green Party Says Goodbye to Emily Citkowski

The Green Party of the United States' Operations Director, Emily Citkowski,
is leaving this month after nearly six years with the party.  She started
working for GPUS in November of 2003 and coordinated day-to-day operations
at the national office through two Presidential campaigns, five national
meetings, and several location changes.

After leaving a regional labor organization to direct operations for the
Green Party, she is returning to work for a national labor advocacy group
and then to law school shortly thereafter.

Emily remarked: "I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work
for the Green Party as a staffer. During my time on staff I was constantly
amazed, inspired, energized and sustained by dedication and creativity of
our volunteers, candidates, officeholders and grassroots activists. Our
party will not just survive but thrive on this kind of people-power and I
look forward to being part of it as a volunteer.  I'll miss working with my
colleagues at the national office, but have no doubt they'll get along fine
without me."

In addition to her duties as Operations Director, Emily played a key role on
the Merchandise and Outreach Committees. She will continue with her GPUS
committee work, as well as her efforts with the DC Statehood Green Party.

Congratulations and thanks for many years of service can be e-mailed to
Emily at emily at gp.org.
Be Seen Wearing Green This Summer

Summer is coming and your local is probably planning to table and march in
festivals and parades in your neighborhood.  Make sure to stock up on Green
Party merchandise<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=9&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fshop.jsp%3Fstorefront_KEY%3D4>to
hand out to potential new members.  One of the best ways to advertise
the
Green Party to everyone who passes your table is with a Green Party t-shirt,
hat, or sweatshirt.  All are union-made in the USA so you can feel good
about supporting workers and the Green Party.

Don't forget to have enough literature available so everyone in your
community can read more about what the Green Party stands for.  Get your Ten
Key Values cards, "Green Party - A Real Difference" cards, and tabling
handbook at our online
store<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=10&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2Fshop%2Fshop.jsp%3Fstorefront_KEY%3D4>.

We have several new items perfect for this summer.  We have Green Party logo
jar openers for picnics, Ten Key Values magnets for holding report cards up
on the fridge, and resealable, reusable, BPA-free water bottles for staying
cool and hydrated.  Buy them separately or together for a discounted price!
Follow the Green Party Online

The Green Party of the United States is utilizing all popular social
networks to build a community of online support and communication for its
members.  Follow the Green Party on
Twitter<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=11&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Fgpus>or
MySpace<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=12&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com%2Fgpoftheus>.
We also have a page on
Facebook<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=13&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fgpusfb>.
Tell your friends that they can hook up with us online and make new Green
friends!

<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=14&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Ftrack.jsp%3Fkey%3D-1%26amp%3Burl_num%3D10%26amp%3Burl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.democracyinaction.com%252Fdia%252Ftrack.jsp%253Fkey%253D-1%2526amp%253Burl_num%253D14%2526amp%253Burl%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%25252Fdia%25252Forganizations%25252FGreens%25252Fshop%25252Fcustom.jsp%25253Fdona%2525250A%2525250Ate_page_KEY%25253D64>
Register Green. Vote Green. Give Green.

The Green Party does not accept corporate donations. We depend
entirely ondonations<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=15&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F175%2Ft%2F2758%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdonate_page_KEY%3D2505>from
people who are committed to building a powerful and progressive
alternative to the two corporate parties.

We ask you to challenge corporate influence in politics by
supporting<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=16&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F175%2Ft%2F2758%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdonate_page_KEY%3D2505>the
Green Party of the United States! Show your resistance to the status
quo
by enabling us to continue organizing and mobilizing for real change. Please
help us get out our positive, progressive values to new communities, and to
deepen our involvement where we're already anchored.

Support us today and please consider becoming a
sustainer<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=17&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F175%2Ft%2F2758%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdonate_page_KEY%3D2505>(look
for the recurring donation option).

Green Party online shopping just got easier! Visit our improved online
store.

[image: Donate to GP
Fund]<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=18&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F175%2Ft%2F2758%2Fshop%2Fcustom.jsp%3Fdonate_page_KEY%3D2505>

*Federal law requires political committees to use their best effort to
collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer for
each individual whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year.
Contributions form the following individuals and entities are prohibited:
corporations, labor organizations, national banks, government contractors,
people under 18 years of age, and foreign nationals.*

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
All comments, feedback and content suggestions should be sent to:
info at gp.org.

You've been reading Green Line, the monthly e-newsletter of the Green Party
of the United States.  Subscribe for
free.<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=19&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Forganizations%2FGreens%2FsignUp.jsp%3FEmail%3D>

Click here to unsubscribe.<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=20&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Ftrack.jsp%3Fkey%3D-1%26amp%3Burl_num%3D18%26amp%3Burl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.democracyinaction.com%252Fdia%252Ftrack.jsp%253Fkey%253D-1%2526amp%253Burl_num%253D22%2526amp%253Burl%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.democracyinaction.com%25252FGreens%25252Funsubscribe.jsp%25253F>

Paid for by:     The Green Party of the United States, PO Box 57065,
Washington, DC  20037
                      202-319-7191 (telephone)   202-319-7193 (fax)
info at gp.org

*The Green Party is not the alternative.  The Green Party is the imperative.
*

*            - Rosa Clemente*
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key=263664995&url_num=21&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.democracyinaction.com%2Fdia%2Ftrack.jsp%3Fkey%3D-1%26amp%3Burl_num%3D10%26amp%3Burl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.democracyinaction.com%252Fdia%252Ftrack.jsp%253Fkey%253D-1%2526amp%253Burl_num%253D14%2526amp%253Burl%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fsecure.democracyinaction.com%25252Fdia%25252Forganizations%25252FGreens%25252Fshop%25252Fcustom.jsp%25253Fdona%2525250A%2525250Ate_page_KEY%25253D64>

--
Charlie Pillsbury, CTGP