{news} DEC 2 - "YOU CALL THIS HEALTH CARE REFORM???" PANEL

Tim McKee thebiggreenpicture at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:24:55 EST 2009

*GREEN PARTY** OF CONNECTICUT*

 *News Release- November 30, 2009- for immediate release    *

 CONTACT; Tim McKee, Spokesperson and National Committee member, (860)
860-778-1304,  Email: thebiggreenpicture at gmail.com

Contact:  Joan Bowman 203-843-7457 Email:
wellness.connecticut at gmail.com<wellness.newhaven at gmail.com>

*GREEN PARTY  PANEL TO ASK “YOU CALL THAT HEALTH CARE REFORM???”*

                                    *CT Green Party hosted panel on Health
Care Reform:*

*Sharp Critique of HR 3962 Brings Focus to Single Payer *

* *

*The Connecticut Green Party *will hold  a* *panel discussion in
Middletown,CT on December 2, 2009 explaining the weaknesses of the
legislation that recently passed the House in the form of bill HR 3962, the
*Affordable Health Care For America Act.*  The panel is  composed  of* Dr.
John Battista*, a nationally noted expert from Litchfield County who has
written about reform for over a decade, *Jerry Martin* of the New Haven
Green Party, *Scott Deshefy*,  Green Party candidate for Congress from
Norwich, and *Dr. Peter de la Rosa* of New London, an advocate for *Prevention
through Health Education*. The discussion is interactive, and examined the
compromises, rhetoric, and betrayals by our elected representatives.  The
debate now moves to the Senate where the battle has just begun.

*The Panel will be presenting at Wesleyan University on December 2, 2009 at
7:00 p.m. in the Woodhead Lounge in the Exley Science Center 265 Church St,
Middletown* and will return to New Haven in December, and have presentations
in Hartford and Waterbury as well. The Greens are forming a Health and
Wellness committee, which will expand its platform to "create a second kind
of primary care  that leads to a higher quality of life and places less
reliance on doctors and medicine."

As *Dr. de la Rosa* pointed out: “Our representatives in Congress have lost
sight of the fact that in order for Health Care reform to accomplish its
primary goals, they must find the courage, honesty,  and political will to
focus on saving lives and improving health. There is no government take-over
here, and somebody should say so -- we are calling for legislation that will
accomplish true deficit reduction and provide authentic Prevention, not
merely early detection of illness. The spending can be managed by non-profit
agencies, and that elimination of profit-taking is essential. We are going
to continue to talk about these steps.”

For more information about this event please contact Joan Bowman at
203-843-7457 or email:*wellness.connecticut at gmail.com
*
###

--
Tim McKee -National Committee of the Green Party for the state of
Connecticut, New Britain,CT