{news} Fw: Update: 17 Arrested at Aetna Office in NYC

Tim McKee timmckee at mail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:44:22 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----

From: "Healthcare-NOW!"
To: timmckee at mail.com
Subject: Update: 17 Arrested at Aetna Office in NYC
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:46:35 -0500

[IMAGE] [IMAGE]If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see
it online.
Forward this message to a friend

Healthcare-NOW!

Seventeen Arrested!

Take Action

Join our new campaign of non-violent, civil disobedience targeting the
private health insurance industry.

Take Action

Dear Tim:

As the public option dies in the Senate Finance Committee, 17 brave
activists entered the lobby of insurance giant Aetna's offices in New
York City and sat down.

Their demand? The immediate approval of doctor-requested treatment for
life threatening cases. What did they want? Medicare for all: the real
public option that was taken out of the Congressional debate long before
this legislative process started.

We know that the public is with us. We know doctors and nurses are with
us. Now we need to to mobilize. Join the campaign at
www.mobilizeforhealthcare.org.

The New York City action was organized by the Private Health Insurance
Must Go! Coalition, a citywide group of health and human rights
activists.

Healthcare-NOW! is proud to support yesterday's action and the national
campaign that it initiated.

We thank them all for the real sacrifice they made in exposing the
horrors of the private health insurance company: Laurie Wen, Constancia
Dinky Romilly, Ken Bing, Nate Franco, Yonathan Dessalegn, Mary Ellen
Marino, Kate Barnhart, Laura "JD" Melendez, Theresa Lee, Frank Naso,
Donald Grove, Jean Fox, Veda Myers, Joan Pleune, Julia Willis, Kai
Newkirk, and Ellen Bay.

The brave people arrested spent the night in jail, and are still awaiting
release at the time of this email. We respect and applaud their bravery
and their commitment to meaningful reform - single-payer national
healthcare.

Over 400 people have pledged to participate in the nonviolent campaign of
civil disobedience to mobilize the country against the real death panels,
private insurance companies.

Sign up to sit-in or support the sit-in at www.mobilizeforhealthcare.org.

Another way you can help make this campaign successful is with a donation
to help cover organizing expenses. Just click here.

This is the second arrest of non-violent, single-payer supporters at a
private health insurance company office building in recent months. Nine
were arrested at Wellmark's offices in Des Moines, Iowa this past summer.

Here's some news coverage of yesterday's civil disobedience:
New York Times
Life.com
Democracy Now!
Zimbio.com

[IMAGE]

Thanks for all that you do,
Healthcare-NOW! National Staff

P.S. Call Congress for single-payer now! It's easy and toll-free.

Healthcare-NOW! survives on the generosity of our supporters. Please
consider making a donation to support our efforts to pass HR 676 using
our secure server.

donate

- Follow us on -
RSS Facebook Delicious

339 Lafayette St. | New York, NY 10012 US

This email was sent to timmckee at mail.com. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemove™

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma

Tim McKee, New Britian, CT, main number cell-860-778-1304
National Committee member of the Green Party of the United States and is a spokesperson for the Green Party of CT.
CT GREEN TIMES
The blog-journal of the CT Green Party is now online! Visit
http://www.ctgreentimes.org

CT GREEN PARTY ON FACEBOOK
Please join the Facebook group at
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105209184665