{news} Allan Brison in New Haven Independent

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:34:28 EDT 2009

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/10/campaign_seeds.php

Campaign $$ Seeds Races

by Melissa Bailey  |  October 19, 2009 11:17 AM

As Election Day nears, money is sprouting along with lawn signs in two neighborhoods in town.

In East Rock’s Ward 10, which is shaping up to be the hottest contest in town, Democrat Justin Elicker is sticking to his clean money campaign pledge. He faces Green Alderman Allan Brison, who is rounding up support from neighbors and some City Hall critics.

The latest campaign finance filings show other money is also fueling
a race in Morris Cove. Election Day takes place on Nov. 3 for the
offices of alderman, city clerk and mayor. The filings cover a period
ending Sept. 30.

East Rock

In Ward 10, Brison and Elicker have raised almost exactly the same amount, but are raising and spending it in different ways.

Brison (pictured), the Board of Aldermen’s lone Green, has raised a total of $3,619.

His 19 donors include a few outspoken City Hall critics, including
Hooker School litigant Paulette Cohen and Hill Alderwoman Jackie James.
The Green Party gave him $375.

Brison spent $2,150 to pay two young political consultants, Hugh
Baran and Sochie Nnaemeka. After paying for mailings and lawn signs, he
had $1,328 left at the beginning of this month.

In a ward where the fight to be the “Independent voice” is spelled
out on campaign signs, Elicker appears to be staying true to his pledge not to accept support or campaign contributions from the mayor’s top staff and appointees.

“I’m doing my best,” he said. Elicker said he had to return three
checks to people with whom the campaign does not want to be associated.

He has raised $3,677, about 50 bucks more than Brison. Elicker saved
money by not hiring political consultants. He started this month with
$2,106 in hand, leaving him with an $800 advantage one month before
Election Day.

Elicker (pictured) pointed out that his fundraising has been done in a
“grassroots” way, staffed by volunteers and fueled by many small
donations. A total of 55 contributors gave him money, many in amounts
as small as $20 or $30. He spent the money on mailings, a website and
lawn signs that have popped up across the ward in the last 10 days.

Brison brushed off Elicker’s pledge not to take campaign dollars
from the mayor’s appointees or top staff. “I’m not getting money from
them, either,” said Brison, “so that’s not a distinguishing thing.”

The Green said his opponent has more donors because “we haven’t
really gone after fundraising in a really big way.” He said he plans to
hold a fundraising event soon, where he expects to get a number of
small donations, too.